Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari opening on its own overnight

I close Safari at night to keep down my limited bandwidth usage. Twice since the recent Safari update, I've noticed that in the morning Safari is open to this webpage:

https://consent-st.trustarc.com/get?name=crossdomain.html&domain=oracle.com

which is just a blank page at the time I see it.

I can't find any information on this URL, and can't figure out where or how I gave consent to anyone to remotely open my browser.

Does anyone have any info around this? Or a similar experience? It's a little worrisome.

Thanks...

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 3, 2020 8:17 AM

29 replies

Nov 15, 2020 3:40 AM in response to Buffsters

The same thing happens to me. But, it doesn't seem to have happened since any upgrade or update of any kind. I just get the blank page open, then a second page named TrustArc Preference Manager. So 2 pages open by themselves at night. Blank and Pref. Manager (screen capture - sorry it's in French).

Now, I try to turn off Internet at night to keep Safari and these pages from opening by themselves.

Dec 8, 2020 10:26 AM in response to Buffsters

@Buffsters

I don't know if you got this resolved, but I was having problems, too, and even went through apple support.

But the fix does have to do with Java (which Apple did not cover in our session). Java will become obsolete soon, but some web browsers still use it. You can uninstall Java, but the safer bet is shown below:

Goto System Preferences; on the bottom row, click on the Java icon. That should open a separate window. (If you don't see a new window, but see in the toolbar "Java Control Panel" open the window from there.)

Click the tab in Java Control Panel for "Updates"

Uncheck the "Check for updates automatically" box. AND YOU MUST CLICK APPLY (or it won't save)

Now it should no longer check for updates at night when your computer is sleeping. It's not really a malware thing like some have suggested in this thread.

You can close everything and restart your computer just to make sure everything has taken effect.

Hope this helps!

Nov 4, 2020 6:52 AM in response to rosas_Tony

Doing some searches I found in a Chinese website that it might have to do with Java but the translation wasn’t that great. Figures since the URL has oracle in the name.

TrustArc domain is a reputable domain that handles security around several things but hey do have a cookies solution.

I have no proof yet but with that being known it may be something legitimate although not expected behavior that this site opens.

Nov 18, 2020 12:47 AM in response to RaySat

The same for me, since a couple of months, on two different machines in different lan: Macbook pro (dynamic IP), iMac27 (static IP). At first I thought it was some intrusion in my office router with static IP, but the same happens at home (dynamic IP). At this point I am inclined to attribute it to something related to Java.

Any hints?

Thanks!

Daria

Nov 20, 2020 6:57 AM in response to rosas_Tony

While I was using my Mac, a java update popped up and low an behold immediately after that the blank page popped up. This is not malware and is related to Java and several google searches around the subject also prove this.

Not too sure on the solution however, but since I use my Mac as a headless server, It doesn't really bother me as much as others.

Nov 20, 2020 6:59 AM in response to Buffsters

Buffsters wrote:

There have been some helpful comments, with one possible data breach, but no solutions so far to this. Is anyone from Apple following this?

No, no one from Apple is following this. This is a user-to-user forum. Apple's participation is minimal. If you want direct advice from Apple, use the Contact Support link at the top right of every page of these forums.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest downloading and running the free version of Malwarebytes. It was originally developed by a long-time forum member and is useful for finding and removing adware.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Safari opening on its own overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.