Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

web pages in chrome and safari wont't load unless I restart my mac

When I open up chrome or safari web pages won't load. I get a message saying I can wait or exit. Nothing happens if I wait. Also, my mac won't restart without me having to force a shut down. Once I have restarted my machine I can access web pages for another day or so before the problem appears again.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 12:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 7:05 AM

Nothing stands out from the report.

Two things:

• you may want to restart in Safe Mode to clear a number of system caches. Safe Mode can take a while to start and will be quite slow. That is normal. Restart normally again after that.

• what are your settings under System Preferences->Network for your connection. Select the connection you are using (Wifi, Ethernet or whatever it is), click Advanced, then click DNS.

What do you see? If you see a grey IP address, that is the one your router provides. You may try adding the address 8.8.8.8 and see if that makes a difference. 8.8.8.8 is the public DNS server from Google.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2020 7:05 AM in response to Ginmonster

Nothing stands out from the report.

Two things:

• you may want to restart in Safe Mode to clear a number of system caches. Safe Mode can take a while to start and will be quite slow. That is normal. Restart normally again after that.

• what are your settings under System Preferences->Network for your connection. Select the connection you are using (Wifi, Ethernet or whatever it is), click Advanced, then click DNS.

What do you see? If you see a grey IP address, that is the one your router provides. You may try adding the address 8.8.8.8 and see if that makes a difference. 8.8.8.8 is the public DNS server from Google.

web pages in chrome and safari wont't load unless I restart my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.