Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple music keeps on crashing

My apple music app keeps on crashing every time it plays one music and also every time it plays a music video for a few second. My mac is up to date .Catalina 10.15.6.

This is really annoying

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 10:36 PM

Hey Edwin_Kirika!

I’ve been there! It sounds like you’re running Mac OS Catalina? Does it give any particular error message?

Also, did this happen after any particular event? (Such as an update/transfer/etc.)?

I’m thinking a few solutions, but it may depend on those answers, if you have the time just let me know! (Most likely the library needs to be rebuilt, which can be a quick solution, depending on the amount of music you have)!

One way to test the issue is to create a new Music/iTunes Library:

Use multiple libraries in Music Mac:

https://support.apple.com/guide/music/use-multiple-libraries-mus7663a920a/mac

But first:

If you open Finder > Go > Home > Music:

Do you have a Music folder in there? Or an iTunes folder? Or both?

I’m just wondering if your iTunes Media/Music was either transferred onto this Mac from another older one, or, even if you store your music on an external hard drive to save space, etc.

Another useful piece of information may be where the media folder is located:

If you open Music/(Used to be iTunes)/ Preferences/Files, from the top menu, you will see the path to the music the app is looking to, is this the actual location where it is supposed to be?

Likewise, can you confirm if you are subscribed to Apple Music/iTunes Match or not? And see what it shows in Music/Preferences/General? (As far as “Sync Music”?

Cheers, just let me know happy to help if I can.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 4, 2020 10:36 PM in response to Edwin_Kirika

Hey Edwin_Kirika!

I’ve been there! It sounds like you’re running Mac OS Catalina? Does it give any particular error message?

Also, did this happen after any particular event? (Such as an update/transfer/etc.)?

I’m thinking a few solutions, but it may depend on those answers, if you have the time just let me know! (Most likely the library needs to be rebuilt, which can be a quick solution, depending on the amount of music you have)!

One way to test the issue is to create a new Music/iTunes Library:

Use multiple libraries in Music Mac:

https://support.apple.com/guide/music/use-multiple-libraries-mus7663a920a/mac

But first:

If you open Finder > Go > Home > Music:

Do you have a Music folder in there? Or an iTunes folder? Or both?

I’m just wondering if your iTunes Media/Music was either transferred onto this Mac from another older one, or, even if you store your music on an external hard drive to save space, etc.

Another useful piece of information may be where the media folder is located:

If you open Music/(Used to be iTunes)/ Preferences/Files, from the top menu, you will see the path to the music the app is looking to, is this the actual location where it is supposed to be?

Likewise, can you confirm if you are subscribed to Apple Music/iTunes Match or not? And see what it shows in Music/Preferences/General? (As far as “Sync Music”?

Cheers, just let me know happy to help if I can.

Nov 5, 2020 8:22 PM in response to Edwin_Kirika

Hey again!

The first thing I would try is opening a new library to see if it reacts normally, that may say a lot:

Open Music while holding Option, then choose “New Library” without changing the media location you should still see all your music and/or purchased music, minus the playlists, etc.

I was wondering however, about playing videos, because I know Catalina split up the iTunes Media into their own apps, such as Music, Movies/TV, Podcasts, etc. So not sure if those videos are now meant to play in the Apple TV app or still Music/iTunes.

If so, in Apple TV, I know you can hit File > Import, and select the videos within the Music or iTunes Media folders.

A new library is a good way to test it out anyway, as well as booting into safe mode:

Startup your Mac while holding Shift, and test.

Nov 12, 2020 4:55 AM in response to DiZoE

Having the exact same issue with Catalina 10.15.7. I'm sending all crash reports to Apple. Seems to happen about every 3-5 minutes. I primarily stream music through Apple Music so I doubt it's anything to do with my library. The beginning of my crash report is the exact same as what was posted above if that means anything.

Nov 17, 2020 10:57 PM in response to kirk_f

Hey kirk_f!

Actually I have seen a library syncing with Apple Music cause this problem. I know most of the music is syncing via Apple Music, but still doesn’t mean the library or it’s contents aren’t corrupted some how.

So I’d say that’s a good step to take, (Creating a new library by launching Music while holding Option and selecting New Library)

Thats also a good step to isolate the cause. If it’s NOT a library issue, I’d check the network settings, third party app, (Test using safe boot), testing in another admin user is also another good step, considering you don’t have to move your entire library but can just sign in.

Actually I’d say creating a new library, while retaining the iTunes Media location is the step of least resistance, (Other than simply updating the OS and other apps), and fixes the problem most of the time. But as I said I always backup my data first, and if I do create a new library I export my Playlists Library as an XML like said first, so if it does work, you can simply import the xml.

Then again, the step of LEAST resistance is actually updating the OS, as Edwin put it, that fixed it for him, so I’d first give that a shot!

Best of luck!

Apple music keeps on crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.