Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Time Machine/Capsule

Hello all. I have an Airport Time Machine/Capsule, which I use to create a wireless network, router mode is DHCP & NAT. I use Comcast as my ISP. I am trying to extend my wifi to my rental property which is about 225 feet from where my airport time machine sits. This past summer, I ran a ethernet cord underground in 1" pipe from my rental property to my regular house. What I am trying to do is get wifi down there as the same wifi I have in my home.

My rent house has now become my escape house when I need to work or just get out of the chaos. I have a security system that is on my main home and I am trying to get that to show at my rent house. And the only thing I have connecting the two homes is the ethernet cable. I looked to see if Apple still made any items like the airport time machine, but it looks like they quit doing that.

What is the easiest or least expensive and time consuming way to extend my wifi to my rent house that is about 225 feet away? Thanks for any advice in advance.

Jack

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac Gen1

Posted on Nov 4, 2020 9:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 5:46 AM

Jack,

If you have tested the Ethernet cable that runs from the main house to the rent house to make sure that it is working correctly, the simplest thing to do might be to pick up an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme to extend the network using your available Ethernet connection. A Time Capsule would also work as well, but it would not be really be needed unless you need another device that will also back up your Mac(s) located in the rent house.

While Apple has discontinued these models, they are still available as new, refurbished and used products from eBay.com

An AirPort Extreme would be an excellent match to the performance of your Time Capsule, but an AirPort Express would likely work also well, although it would not provide as fast a signal as the AirPort Extreme. If you are only going to be using a few wireless devices, the AirPort Express would probably be OK. A refurbished AirPort Express might be in the $60-70 range or so.

Setting up the Express is a piece of cake since Apple's AirPort Utility setup "wizard" will almost configure the Express for you automatically. All that you really need to do is give the Express a device name and the wizard will take care of configuring the Express will the other correct settings automatically.

I'm suggesting another Apple AirPort device because it is always preferable to use products from the same manufacturer when you are trying to extend a network if only because they are designed to work together easily. A "wireless access point"......often called a WAP.....from another manufacturer would work as well, but we won't be able to tell you how to set up the product to work correctly with your Time Capsule.

If you decide on the AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme.......and you need step by step setup instructions.......post back for more info.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2020 5:46 AM in response to jackb1717

Jack,

If you have tested the Ethernet cable that runs from the main house to the rent house to make sure that it is working correctly, the simplest thing to do might be to pick up an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme to extend the network using your available Ethernet connection. A Time Capsule would also work as well, but it would not be really be needed unless you need another device that will also back up your Mac(s) located in the rent house.

While Apple has discontinued these models, they are still available as new, refurbished and used products from eBay.com

An AirPort Extreme would be an excellent match to the performance of your Time Capsule, but an AirPort Express would likely work also well, although it would not provide as fast a signal as the AirPort Extreme. If you are only going to be using a few wireless devices, the AirPort Express would probably be OK. A refurbished AirPort Express might be in the $60-70 range or so.

Setting up the Express is a piece of cake since Apple's AirPort Utility setup "wizard" will almost configure the Express for you automatically. All that you really need to do is give the Express a device name and the wizard will take care of configuring the Express will the other correct settings automatically.

I'm suggesting another Apple AirPort device because it is always preferable to use products from the same manufacturer when you are trying to extend a network if only because they are designed to work together easily. A "wireless access point"......often called a WAP.....from another manufacturer would work as well, but we won't be able to tell you how to set up the product to work correctly with your Time Capsule.

If you decide on the AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme.......and you need step by step setup instructions.......post back for more info.

Nov 4, 2020 9:50 PM in response to jackb1717

You cannot really extend wifi that distance.. not without fancy gear..

There is no need to because the wifi in the rent house will be totally separate to the home. You just set the same SSID and password as the Time Capsule at home.. and everything will work on wifi in the rental.

You will need a router setup in AP mode, wan bypass or an actual AP.. but the later tend to be more expensive .. it can be just about any brand you like. No need to spend a heap of money.. a cheap decent wifi router will perform great..

It is hard to list models as your market is different to mine.. (Australia).

TP-Link is a brand I like for low cost and reasonable quality. Cheap and cheerful as they say.

The old C2300 was the go to .. but they have likely gone out of production so the next model is AX20. AX1800 in US $110

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-WiFi-Router-AX1800-Smart/dp/B085288G3M/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.tp-link.com/au/home-networking/wifi-router/archer-ax20/#specifications

The specs show one poor aspect.. USB2 port only.. that is really lousy in 2020.. or 2010 even. It does support AP mode.. it even supports time machine to a slow as treacle USB2 drive.. but fulfils the task.

It is good enough for the job.. They even have a lower model.. which is probably OK.. but it will be slower. AX1500.

The cheaper ones are often built on poorer processors so you do lose out.

The EAP245 is a proper AP that would work for you.. but harder to setup.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wireless-Supports-Technology-EAP245/dp/B01N0XZ1TU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=eap245&qid=1604555162&sr=8-1

Better in some ways.. but really designed for more pro level install.. although it says ceiling mount it looks fine to sit on a table.

You can also buy mesh product like TP-Link M5 but it requires signing up to cloud registration in China.. which I personally am not happy to do.

I could have picked loads of other brands.. and even buying a second hand router.. AC wireless will more than likely work fine.. I have used modem routers of both vdsl and cable types and anything wireless.. vast majority will work. Nice if it has AP mode.

Good work running that ethernet btw.

Nov 4, 2020 10:29 PM in response to LaPastenague

It is good enough for the job.. They even have a lower model.. which is probably OK.. but it will be slower. AX1500.

The cheaper ones are often built on poorer processors so you do lose out.

Let me say the review of the AX10 (AX1500) is actually fairly reasonable.. and it does support AP mode.. They reduced the cost by having no USB port at all and a cheaper processor ( broadcom so good). It actually works in AP scenario.

Airport Time Machine/Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.