Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I a get a current Apple Watch backup?

I'm trying to set up my wife's new Apple watch but the only backup from the previous is watch is from March 2019. We did an iCloud and manual backup of her phone to try and get a more current backup. Is there a way to retrieve a more current backup for her Apple watch?

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 6:19 AM

A back up is included with the paired iPhone's back up.

Also a new backup is made when you unpair a watch.

See Back up your Apple Watch

If the watch has been unpaired for along time, it is no longer included in the backup.

Honestly, IMHO, the watch back up is not a big issue, whenever I have to re-pair my watch to my phone I set it up as a new watch. It is just the setting that I have to redo.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2020 6:19 AM in response to JamesBram

A back up is included with the paired iPhone's back up.

Also a new backup is made when you unpair a watch.

See Back up your Apple Watch

If the watch has been unpaired for along time, it is no longer included in the backup.

Honestly, IMHO, the watch back up is not a big issue, whenever I have to re-pair my watch to my phone I set it up as a new watch. It is just the setting that I have to redo.

Nov 5, 2020 6:49 AM in response to Randy-12

Thank you Randy-12 for the help. The backup process was causing us more problems than it should’ve. We were coming at it like our phones and iMac where everything was attached to the device. We talked to Apple support and they let us know the data we were worried about losing was in the fitness app not the Apple Watch back up. Thank you again for responding and helping me understand the Apple Watch more.

How do I a get a current Apple Watch backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.