Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

folder not visible server app

I created a couple new folders through Finder on my network computer. I then went to set up the file sharing through the macOS Server App. However, the folders are not visible! Had this problem a long time ago. But, cannot remember how it was resolved.

late 2012 Mac Mini running macOS Sierra 10.12.6

Server app version 5.3.1 (16S4128)

This is the last version before Apple lobotomized it, and you had to do sharing through System Preferences instead.

Normally I would launch the Server app, and then go to File Sharing, and then browser to the newly created folder(s). What's odd is they show up in Finder on that machine.

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 3:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2020 3:17 PM

Answered my own question while I was on hold with Apple Support.

For those who might be having the same problem DON'T add the folder through Finder. Instead, launch the Server app, go to File Sharing, and then click the cog wheel and select Add Folder. This creates a new folder with inherited permissions that the folder is nested under.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2020 3:17 PM in response to Tech-RainDefense

Answered my own question while I was on hold with Apple Support.

For those who might be having the same problem DON'T add the folder through Finder. Instead, launch the Server app, go to File Sharing, and then click the cog wheel and select Add Folder. This creates a new folder with inherited permissions that the folder is nested under.

folder not visible server app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.