Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes changes recorded levels of wav file created in Audacity

iTunes version 12.6.2.20. Audacity version 2.3.3 iMac o/s 10.9.4

The first time I listen to playback of a wav file (16, 24 or 32 bit) 44100 hertz or even export an mp3 audio file recorded in Audacity (speech with music underscore), the playback quality in iTunes is exactly the same as how it was recorded, mixed and rendered in Audacity. But the 2nd time, and every time after that, that the same wav or mp3 file is played back in iTunes, the levels are significantly boosted and the recording sounds like garbage.

My iTunes EQ is always set to "None" and the iTunes volume slider is at maximum using iMac's built in speakers.

The peak mixed recording db level according to Audacity playback meter is only at around minus 10 db.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 7:53 AM

Do you have Sound Check enabled? See Change Playback preferences in Music on Mac - Apple Support.

tt2

3 replies

Nov 7, 2020 3:53 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you so much. I've disabled the "Sound Enhancer" and "Sound Check" options and the issue has been resolved.

I didn't realise that there were various additional options such as "Playback" in iTunes Preferences. One tends to explore only the visibly displayed options such as File Edit Song View Controls Account Window Help and forget that there are other important settings under the iTunes button.

Very appreciative of your helpful advice.

itunes changes recorded levels of wav file created in Audacity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.