Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Text Message Problems in IOS14

My text messages have consistently stopped sending in group text messages, after I upgraded to iOS 14. This is ridiculous! Is anyone else having this problem.

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 11:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 11:29 AM

Yvonne_Mitch wrote:

My text messages have consistently stopped sending in group text messages, after I upgraded to iOS 14. This is ridiculous! Is anyone else having this problem.

Click here If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If the link doesn't work, you contact your phone carrier and let them know MMS is their feature, not Apple not the ios.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2020 11:29 AM in response to Yvonne_Mitch

Yvonne_Mitch wrote:

Click here If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If the link doesn't work, you contact your phone carrier and let them know MMS is their feature, not Apple not the ios.

Nov 21, 2020 5:16 PM in response to Yvonne_Mitch

I first noticed the problem starting with iOS 14.1. Did not have problems with 14.01. I have an 11 Pro.

I cannot send group texts if at least one person is on Android. I cannot send photos to ANY Android users even when it's not group text. I get the same failures when I text from my Mac.

I am not missing any texts. I receive single texts and group texts that include Android users.

I contacted the carrier (Visible, a Verizon MVNO) and worked with them. They reprovisoned the SIM and tell me that everything is working on their end.

The SIM works fine installed on an Android phone. The same SIM also works fine when installed on iPhone 6 Plus.

I have performed every action suggested by Apple and other users (rest network, make sure MMS is on, turn airplane mode off and on, delete the problem groups, do a complete restore of phone, etc.).

Nov 22, 2020 4:13 PM in response to yoyo_58

I was on the phone with Apple senior support rep for a couple of hours today. One of the most important things that came out of it was a test of MMS on my iPhone without signing into my Apple account. I backed up my data to iCloud, signed out of everything, restarted the phone but DID NOT sign into my account. I COULD send MMS just fine then which tells us that my carrier is processing and sending MMS correctly. This suggests that the problem is probably an Apple issue.

She had me send diagnostics, logs, screen shots, etc. for the engineers to examine. She will call me tomorrow with an update. She also said that there are other users reporting similar problems. She said that users on my carrier (Visible, a Verizon MVNO) are reporting MMS problems. Maybe both Apple and Visible have bugs to fix, but for now it's in Apple's court.

I'll provide updates here.

Nov 24, 2020 11:44 AM in response to razmee209

razmee209,

I was on the phone with Apple senior support rep for a couple of hours today. One of the most important things that came out of it was a test of MMS on my iPhone without signing into my Apple account. I backed up my data to iCloud, signed out of everything, restarted the phone but DID NOT sign into my account. I COULD send MMS just fine then which tells us that my carrier is processing and sending MMS correctly. This suggests that the problem is probably an Apple issue.

Nov 29, 2020 4:40 PM in response to Yvonne_Mitch

Yvonne,

I was finally able to resolve the problem with Apple senior support. The senior support person collected and sent the logs, diagnostics, screen shots, etc to the Apple engineers and came back with a suggested fix that worked for me.

1) Do a fresh iCloud backup

2) Go to Settings, General, Reset, Erase All Content and Settings

3) When you go through the setup process, DO NOT RESTORE FROM BACKUP - set up as a new phone

4) Once you're through with that, try sending a few MMS messages (send a pic to an Android user, send a text to a group containing an Android user, something like that)

5) If it works, then Yay! Only now should you sign in to your iCloud account. It will take several minutes to repopulate your phone with your iCloud data.

6) Since you didn't restore from a backup, you will now have to re download the apps you want. Open the App Store, click on your name/image in the upper right corner. Then click on Purchased and re download the apps you want. It's been hit or miss for me on which apps will have saved data. I lost game progress for instance, but texting was way more important for me.

Please report back here if you try this and let us know if it works for you or not. It will be a big help for others.

Good luck!

Text Message Problems in IOS14

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.