Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it advisable to create partitions for 1 TB SSD of macbook pro i9

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2020 12:04 PM

As has already been said, there is no reason to partition (except possibly for bootcamp).

APFS lets you create volumes in the same container without partitioning.

These are much better than partitions, because they automatically share the available space, and you never fall into the situation where you suddenly run out of space in one partition and have plenty in another.

It is as simple as "Add APFS Volume" in Disk Utility.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2020 12:04 PM in response to richas83vh

As has already been said, there is no reason to partition (except possibly for bootcamp).

APFS lets you create volumes in the same container without partitioning.

These are much better than partitions, because they automatically share the available space, and you never fall into the situation where you suddenly run out of space in one partition and have plenty in another.

It is as simple as "Add APFS Volume" in Disk Utility.

Nov 6, 2020 11:10 AM in response to richas83vh

As others said. No reasons to do that.

In the past, you would partition large disks for manageability. Segregate what change often (ex: Data) from what rarely change (ex: OS, applications...). Optimize disk usage and overcome file system limitations...

Nowadays, on consumer devices and modern file systems there is no reason to create "partitions".

WD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.