Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with strange files automatically saving on SSD

Hi!

I've recently encountered something strange going on when i connect an external SSD to my mac. I've been using the same SSD for a long time and have never had this happen to me before so wanted to see if anyone knew a way around this issue.

When i recently opened the SSD files the four documents/folders highlighted in red below had somehow found their way onto my hard drive.

Each time i delete these files my and eject my SSD, the next time I plug it in I'm prompted to use the device for TimeMachine backups?! another thing that's never happened before.

I didn't place these files here intentionally and would love to know how to get rid of them, without them spawning back onto my SSD each time i plug it in.

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 11:25 AM

These are the hidden files on your Disk, there is nothing malicious in them they exist on every Disk,

you have at some point asked for the 'hidden' files to be shown on your mac.

Depending on which OS you are running you can try the key combination to show or hide

hidden folders.

Shift-Command-. (period or full stop) ⇧⌘.

Do not delete them you could actually harm how the mac communicates with your external disk.

Read more here, https://ianlunn.co.uk/articles/quickly-showhide-hidden-files-mac-os-x-mavericks

Here is a screenshot from one of my external disks, you can see the 'hidden' files, so just to confirm

there is nothing wrong with your disk or mac, leave them alone.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2020 11:25 AM in response to JamesTheBoi

These are the hidden files on your Disk, there is nothing malicious in them they exist on every Disk,

you have at some point asked for the 'hidden' files to be shown on your mac.

Depending on which OS you are running you can try the key combination to show or hide

hidden folders.

Shift-Command-. (period or full stop) ⇧⌘.

Do not delete them you could actually harm how the mac communicates with your external disk.

Read more here, https://ianlunn.co.uk/articles/quickly-showhide-hidden-files-mac-os-x-mavericks

Here is a screenshot from one of my external disks, you can see the 'hidden' files, so just to confirm

there is nothing wrong with your disk or mac, leave them alone.

Help with strange files automatically saving on SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.