Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air 2 (2014) - stylus and palm rejection

Hi everybody

I would like to use my iPad Air 2 more for note taking. I would like to hear your experiences with stylus and apps too. So my questions :)

Is there any way to use some third party stylus on iPad Air 2, which gonna work great and reliable in term of palm rejection ?

Some apps as goodnotes 5, has palm rejection by themself. Does it work with non bluetooth stylus as Adonit Dash 3 or HAHAKEE stylus ?

Thank you. I think there is no reason to use tablet as note, if you cannot put your palm on screen while you´re writing.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 3:51 PM

Palm rejection is an element of iPad support for Apple Pencil. Apple Pencil isn’t supported by iPad Air2 as the necessary screen hardware, with which the Pencil interacts, is missing from this model of iPad.

Here is the full compatibility list for the Apple Pencil and iPad:

Apple Pencil (2nd generation)

You can use Apple Pencil (2nd generation) with these iPad models: 

• iPad Air (4th generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) and later
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) and later

Apple Pencil (1st generation)

You can use Apple Pencil (1st generation) with these iPad models:

• iPad (8th generation)
  • iPad mini (5th generation)
  • iPad (7th generation)
  • iPad (6th generation)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st or 2nd generation)
  • iPad Pro 10.5-inch
  • iPad Pro 9.7-inch

In absence of support for Apple Pencil, your options are limited. Some third-party stylus’ are available (such as Adonit), however, these are entirely dependent upon explicit support being provided by third-party Apps. As for palm rejection, your only option is to consider an insulating glove.

Perhaps a better solution would be to consider replacement of your iPad Air2 with a newer model of iPad - that provides full support for Apple Pencil.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2020 3:51 PM in response to Kejmo

Palm rejection is an element of iPad support for Apple Pencil. Apple Pencil isn’t supported by iPad Air2 as the necessary screen hardware, with which the Pencil interacts, is missing from this model of iPad.

Here is the full compatibility list for the Apple Pencil and iPad:

Apple Pencil (2nd generation)

You can use Apple Pencil (2nd generation) with these iPad models: 

• iPad Air (4th generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation) and later
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) and later

Apple Pencil (1st generation)

You can use Apple Pencil (1st generation) with these iPad models:

• iPad (8th generation)
  • iPad mini (5th generation)
  • iPad (7th generation)
  • iPad (6th generation)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st or 2nd generation)
  • iPad Pro 10.5-inch
  • iPad Pro 9.7-inch

In absence of support for Apple Pencil, your options are limited. Some third-party stylus’ are available (such as Adonit), however, these are entirely dependent upon explicit support being provided by third-party Apps. As for palm rejection, your only option is to consider an insulating glove.

Perhaps a better solution would be to consider replacement of your iPad Air2 with a newer model of iPad - that provides full support for Apple Pencil.

Nov 7, 2020 4:44 PM in response to Kejmo

Since I have had some time to kill updating all of my family's iOS devices to the most up to date iOS versions, I tend not to like to walk away from my computer when doing Apple mobile device upgraded/updates from iTunes on my computer, so I am back answering some iPad user issues here for a little while.

There are really no good Bluetooth stylii, any longer, for ANY older iPad models.

The commonly found, fine point, non-Bluetooth battery powered capacitive stylii need the use of special body electrical isolating drawing gloves to get some degree of palm rejection from your palm making screen contact marks in notes and drawing apps.

These gloves are not perfect and can still occasionally leave some stray marks, but these screen drawing gloves are much better than no drawing glove at all and allow you hand to move more smoothly across the glass screen while writing and/or drawing.

These can be found in various sizes and colors on websites such as Amazon.

This stated, you may want to seriously consider a new or “newer” ( used ) iPad model that is compatible with the original, 1st version of the Apple Pencil.

Starting with older 2015-2017 iPad Pro models that you can find much cheaper now that use the original, 1st gen Apple Pencil.

OR the 6th, 7th of 8th gen base model iPad versions.

If you can find them, the older 6th and 7th gen base model iPads can be purchased at much cheaper prices, now!

Even the newest 2020, 8th iPad can be found with up to $50-$60 discounts.

I finally acquiesced and purchase a 1st gen Apple Pencil for my 5-year old iPad Pro models a few months, ago ( I used a third party Adonit Bluetooth stylus for many years ), as iPadOS 14 has more fully integrated the Apple Pencil throughout the entire iPadOS 14 system, now, making the Apple Pencil more of a necessary accessory than an optional one.

So, it was time to switch my mindset about Apple's Pencil and embrace it with all of its pros and cons.

Best of Luck to You.

iPad Air 2 (2014) - stylus and palm rejection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.