Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do the magnets in ‘smart’ covers disturb the iPad compass?

On a previous occasion I had to return a cover because the cover magnets rendered the built-in compass useless.

I’ve just bought an iPad Air 4th Gen (10.9”) and it really needs a protective cover - but I need the compass to work.

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Nov 7, 2020 10:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2020 9:43 AM

Any external magnets, placed near the iPad, will interfere to some extent with the built-in compass and magnetometer.

The extent to which your iPad will be affected by a third-party case/cover can only be determined by trial and error. If you can manage without the screen auto-locking function, some cases do not include any magnets at all. Such cases will perhaps be more suitable for your needs.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2020 9:43 AM in response to Chris4016

Any external magnets, placed near the iPad, will interfere to some extent with the built-in compass and magnetometer.

The extent to which your iPad will be affected by a third-party case/cover can only be determined by trial and error. If you can manage without the screen auto-locking function, some cases do not include any magnets at all. Such cases will perhaps be more suitable for your needs.

Do the magnets in ‘smart’ covers disturb the iPad compass?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.