Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Malware message when trying to print to my HP Deskjet

My Macbook pro gives me a Malware message when trying to print to my HP Deskjet printer, which was working fine. Is there a workaround?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 8, 2020 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2020 3:54 PM

Perhaps, but there are well over 100 different HP DeskJet models and you need to determine which one you are using.

• If it is an AirPrint-enabled device no manufacturer-provided software or drivers are necessary, and the affected files can simply be deleted. See below.
  • If it is not an AirPrint-enabled device you will need to wait until HP fixes the problem they caused by revoking the security certificates for their software. Check Software Update: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support. If HP has not fixed it by now, check Software Update some other time. Repeat tomorrow, next week, or as often as necessary until you eventually decide to give up on HP and buy a printer / scanner / MFD from a company that actually knows what they're doing.

Otherwise please contact HP or peruse their community help site, which recently become overwhelmed with reports substantially identical to yours: HP Printer Setup, Software & Drivers.

Apple recommends that you do not install any software that came with the device or from the manufacturer's website. If you did, remove that software, and then add the printer to Printers & Scanners again as AirPrint-enabled device. The existing device entry can and should then be removed.

As of this writing there are well over 6000 AirPrint-enabled printers and multifunction devices. Over 1000 of them are HP devices. I don't recommend any of them.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2020 3:54 PM in response to WhiteBirchRoad

Perhaps, but there are well over 100 different HP DeskJet models and you need to determine which one you are using.

• If it is an AirPrint-enabled device no manufacturer-provided software or drivers are necessary, and the affected files can simply be deleted. See below.
  • If it is not an AirPrint-enabled device you will need to wait until HP fixes the problem they caused by revoking the security certificates for their software. Check Software Update: How to update the software on your Mac - Apple Support. If HP has not fixed it by now, check Software Update some other time. Repeat tomorrow, next week, or as often as necessary until you eventually decide to give up on HP and buy a printer / scanner / MFD from a company that actually knows what they're doing.

Otherwise please contact HP or peruse their community help site, which recently become overwhelmed with reports substantially identical to yours: HP Printer Setup, Software & Drivers.

Apple recommends that you do not install any software that came with the device or from the manufacturer's website. If you did, remove that software, and then add the printer to Printers & Scanners again as AirPrint-enabled device. The existing device entry can and should then be removed.

As of this writing there are well over 6000 AirPrint-enabled printers and multifunction devices. Over 1000 of them are HP devices. I don't recommend any of them.

Malware message when trying to print to my HP Deskjet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.