Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 video editing (FCP setup preset question)

Please forgive any stupidity on my part, my video editing experience has been with 720x480 DV in Adobe Premiere. I only recently made the switch to FCP and I am having a real challenge understanding the different setup presets.

I shot video on the iPhone 4 and want to edit and use SmoothCam on the footage. I have read a few posts that suggest using "ProRes422, (HQ if you use a lot of effects and processing)" - but there are so many options for ProRes422 in setup and I haven't a clue what the difference between them all.

I've tried many of them and every one I choose gives me the "This clip doesn't match this sequence's settings ..." dialog. When I accept the option to "Change sequence settings to match clip settings" the option to use Unlimited RT disappears. When I say No to the dialog, Unlimited RT remains, but the Smoothcam filter seems to have absolutely no effect on the footage (after a 5-hour calculation process).

I don't know the difference between the HQ vs. LT vs. proxy vs none of the above. (I do understand that the iPhone footage's audio is 44.1 and that it needs to be converted to 48 kHz.) And frankly the more I read about the various settings, the more confused and overwhelmed I get.

All I want to be able to do is choose the easiest setting that will enable me to edit and Smoothcam iPhone's 1280x720/24 fps footage and have the option to use unlimited RT.

My best guess is to convert the footage in Compressor using the Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) setting. But before I invest in the conversion time, am I on the right track?

iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 25, 2010 2:23 PM

2 replies

iPhone 4 video editing (FCP setup preset question)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.