Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need a screen protector for the iPad Pro 4th generation if I draw frequently with the Apple Pencil?

I will be using the Apple Pencil for drawing, and want to be sure that I'm not making micro scratches on my screen. Does anyone have experience with specific screen protectors for artists, or is the screen on the iPad Pro designed to resist scratches from the Apple Pencil? Is the drawing experience better with a protector? Thanks in advance for any specific recommendations.

Posted on Nov 9, 2020 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 5:09 PM

Hello SQbear99,

We understand you are concerned about the Apple Pencil causing scratches on your iPad and we're happy to help. The Apple Pencil is designed to make sure it does not cause any damage to the screen unless there is debris or a foreign object on it that is causing the damage. However, you can definitely still use it with a screen protector.

Have a great day!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 5:09 PM in response to SQbear99

Hello SQbear99,

We understand you are concerned about the Apple Pencil causing scratches on your iPad and we're happy to help. The Apple Pencil is designed to make sure it does not cause any damage to the screen unless there is debris or a foreign object on it that is causing the damage. However, you can definitely still use it with a screen protector.

Have a great day!

Nov 17, 2020 10:41 AM in response to SQbear99

Consider that the iPad screen is an expensive component - whereas a screen protector is sacrificial layer that is easy and relatively cheap to replace.

Whilst the Apple Pencil has a soft tip that is intended to protect the screen from damage, basic material science tells us that a hard abrasive material (such as grit), will embed in the softer of two materials. Once embedded, the very hard material can be repeatedly dragged across the screen - and cause damage.

A fingertip can easily “feel” grit an other abrasive contaminants - which you will instinctively not drag across the screen. When using a pencil, you cannot directly feel potentially damaging surface contamination.

The use of a screen protector is a matter of personal choice. Armed with an understanding of “how” a screen can be damaged will help you to make an informed decision.

Do I need a screen protector for the iPad Pro 4th generation if I draw frequently with the Apple Pencil?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.