Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't scan from HP Photosmart

Slightly bemusing problem here - but I recently have found it an issue to scan from an HP Photosmart B110a, as it no longer appears as an option to select on Image Capture.

The printer is connected via the network, and oddly another Mac in the household seems to be able to still see and scan from the device in Image Capture. I have deleted and re-added the printer in System Preferences (along with also resetting the printing system) and have selected 'HP Photosmart B110 series' as the printer software (as opposed to AirPrint), but it only adds the printer - the scan option no longer shows.

Have tried re-adding repeatedly, but just can't get it to see the scanner!

Does anyone have any suggestions to help with this issue? Am currently on macOS Catalina 10.15.7

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 3:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 7:03 AM

Sad that nobody was able to help with this issue here, but I did finally manage to solve it. Thought I had better post, in case someone finds themselves in a similar situation...

This was oddly the fifth attempt of doing the same or similar thing, so may be worth a couple of attempts. However, I used the HP Uninstaller (which you can download from the HP website) to uninstall any HP software and clear the printer from my Mac. I then went into both my system and user Library folders and deleted any leftover HP files. Then I reset the printer system (open up System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, right click in the printer list and click 'Reset printer system') and restarted my Mac.

After this, I downloaded the latest Mac drivers from the HP website and installed them. I then went to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, and went to add my Photosmart B110a, and it finally discovered the printer as 'Bonjour Multifunction' which allowed me to re-add both the printer and the scanner.

Had done this a number of times - but the last time worked! So finally happy! The only thing I will add, is that the 'Airprint' option when going to install the printer is now oddly missing (although I do remember it originally being there before) - so wasn't an option to install. Not that I needed it this time around.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 7:03 AM in response to adrian-polglase

Sad that nobody was able to help with this issue here, but I did finally manage to solve it. Thought I had better post, in case someone finds themselves in a similar situation...

This was oddly the fifth attempt of doing the same or similar thing, so may be worth a couple of attempts. However, I used the HP Uninstaller (which you can download from the HP website) to uninstall any HP software and clear the printer from my Mac. I then went into both my system and user Library folders and deleted any leftover HP files. Then I reset the printer system (open up System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, right click in the printer list and click 'Reset printer system') and restarted my Mac.

After this, I downloaded the latest Mac drivers from the HP website and installed them. I then went to System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, and went to add my Photosmart B110a, and it finally discovered the printer as 'Bonjour Multifunction' which allowed me to re-add both the printer and the scanner.

Had done this a number of times - but the last time worked! So finally happy! The only thing I will add, is that the 'Airprint' option when going to install the printer is now oddly missing (although I do remember it originally being there before) - so wasn't an option to install. Not that I needed it this time around.

Nov 12, 2020 6:50 AM in response to adrian-polglase

I have got a little further in seeing that my MacBook Pro is not seeing the printer as a 'Bonjour Multifunction' when trying to add it, instead only showing as 'Bonjour' and adding as a printer without the scanner function. This is in contrast to my partner's Mac, which does see it as a Bonjour Multifunction and so can scan - all on the same network, with the same version of Catalina.

But I seem to be no closer in fixing the issue!

Can't scan from HP Photosmart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.