Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Lens Flare (Green reflection)

I was trying out the camera especially the night mode (pretty impressed with it) and found out there were some green reflections on my photo taken at night which I suspect came from the bright lights. I tried cleaning my lens surface properly and still the same.

Is this issue normal and common for all iPhone camera? Please advise.

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 11:43 AM

You are repeating it for different threads and no, you are not right. I am a professional photographer, I use cameras and lenses that cost considerably more than an iPhone. And no, what appears in the photos of the iPhone 12 is not normal. If you had one and could try you would know that it is impossible to avoid stains. It is as easy as recording video and seeing that there is no possible angle in which they do not appear.

I have many more mobiles at home, including several iPhones and those spots don't appear (don't confuse spots with flares). It is a problem generated by the lenses of the iPhone and that Samsung, Huawei or Xiaomi do not have in such an exaggerated way. The dots are normal, the spots all over the screen are not. Do not defend something that is indefensible by telling people that since they are not professionals they do not know how to use the iPhone. That has never been Apple's policy. I have a case open with Apple and I can assure you that they do not think it is normal either. I have a storage open for several days to send them photos and for them to see how the camera behaves. It is clear that they do see that something is not normal.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 11:43 AM in response to lobsterghost1

You are repeating it for different threads and no, you are not right. I am a professional photographer, I use cameras and lenses that cost considerably more than an iPhone. And no, what appears in the photos of the iPhone 12 is not normal. If you had one and could try you would know that it is impossible to avoid stains. It is as easy as recording video and seeing that there is no possible angle in which they do not appear.

I have many more mobiles at home, including several iPhones and those spots don't appear (don't confuse spots with flares). It is a problem generated by the lenses of the iPhone and that Samsung, Huawei or Xiaomi do not have in such an exaggerated way. The dots are normal, the spots all over the screen are not. Do not defend something that is indefensible by telling people that since they are not professionals they do not know how to use the iPhone. That has never been Apple's policy. I have a case open with Apple and I can assure you that they do not think it is normal either. I have a storage open for several days to send them photos and for them to see how the camera behaves. It is clear that they do see that something is not normal.

Nov 17, 2020 6:08 PM in response to unflare

Then return your phone and try to find one which doesn't do this, but be advised, the current top of the line cell phones ALL do this, including phones from Samsung and Google such as Pixel.

Now, if you'd like to know how to minimize or eliminate these effects, altering the angle of the camera relative to the lights can have significant merits. Before you tap the shutter release look at your iPhone screen. The dots are there and they will be captured. Move the angle of the phone's cameras and you can see how to minimize or fully remove them.

Cameras are only as good as the person behind the camera. Yes, these new higher end phones can take exceptional pictures, but they can also take less than exceptional pictures if one doesn't put forth some effort to see what is in the view before taking the photo and trying to fix what can be seen before taking the photo.

Nov 21, 2020 12:57 PM in response to miguelfeal

OK......GOOD FOR YOU.

You're an amazingly gifted professional photographer. One who is clearly NOT happy with his new iPhone.

We are just users. Debating this with just users is pointless. You've got what you've got. Either figure out how to use the phone to your satisfaction or use one of the other fabulous phones you own.

No one on this forum can do anything for you. We can't reprogram your phone. We can't change the cameras. We can't do anything.

So, you've made your point. We bow to your professional stature. Does that help you?

Nov 21, 2020 1:02 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I have opened a support case with Apple and they ask me to take the phone to an official repair site so they can see what happens themselves. I have submitted many photos taken today and understand that this is not the correct result, whether it is software or hardware.

I understand why these spots appear. Lens manufacturers apply various techniques to solve these types of problems. If Apple, Huawei, Samsung ... have these problems, it is clear that they will have to find a solution. Possibly they are related to an increasing aperture in the objectives and larger sensors.

Jan 4, 2021 9:57 AM in response to kelho

Same story on my Iphone 12 in most of the night shots with plenty of light sources. On my XS I have never seen anything like it but maybe because it has worse camera and doesn't do night mode. But still It's really disappointing for me as a long time Apple user that such problem exists and no one is publicly talking about it.

Hope that Apple will fix this with next version.

iPhone 12 Lens Flare (Green reflection)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.