Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music on iOS displaying wrong album artwork with iPhone 12 Pro

Hiya,

I have had my iPhone 12 Pro for a couple of weeks now. I transferred data wireless from my previous iPhone Xs. I was surprised to see it also transferred my music because in the past, when restoring from a Mac, I would still have to manually move over music from iTunes/Music apps.

All that said, I recently purchased a few albums from Bandcamp and when I transfer from the MacOS Music app it displays the wrong artwork on my iPhone 12. For example, I bought the new David Lord album and after transferring it displays Aphex Twin album art on my iPhone Music app. I've tried deleting the music off my phone, and even erasing album art metadata and adding it again. Doing this does not fix the issue. Anyone have any ideas? I'm a nerd and it's important to me that the album artwork looks correct when using the Music app. Thanks.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2020 7:25 AM

I encountered the same problem and figured it out on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I deleted all the music from my iPhone and then sync it with my mac again. All duplicates are gone and every song is now correctly displaying its cover art.

ON YOUR MAC (Open the Music app)

-Select Music on the top left-hand corner

-Select Preference

-Select Advanced and turn off "Automatically Update Artwork"

-Reset Warnings & Reset Music Store Cache

-Select Save and Close.

ON YOUR IPHONE (Go to music under settings)

-Turn off "Cellular Data"

-Enter "Downloaded Music" under Downloads

-Select "Edit" on the top right-hand corner

-Now select "All Songs" and delete them (You are only deleting all your music from your phone)

Now open the Music app on your iPhone and verify that all your music was deleted. Also, you may have to manually delete any playlist you created on your phone as well. Once you are done with that, cycle your phone (Turn it off, turn it back on).

Now just sync your phone to your Mac and it'll place all your music back into your phone like new. You should have no issues and all cover art should be where it needs to be. Took me a few hours to figure this out but my phone music is all organized as it should be now. I've also attached a snapshot of what my phone settings are on the Music app. Hope this helps everyone experiencing this problem. Don't forget to back up your phone after you have done this and get rid of the old backups of your phone.

Similar questions

32 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2020 7:25 AM in response to mditullo

I encountered the same problem and figured it out on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. I deleted all the music from my iPhone and then sync it with my mac again. All duplicates are gone and every song is now correctly displaying its cover art.

ON YOUR MAC (Open the Music app)

-Select Music on the top left-hand corner

-Select Preference

-Select Advanced and turn off "Automatically Update Artwork"

-Reset Warnings & Reset Music Store Cache

-Select Save and Close.

ON YOUR IPHONE (Go to music under settings)

-Turn off "Cellular Data"

-Enter "Downloaded Music" under Downloads

-Select "Edit" on the top right-hand corner

-Now select "All Songs" and delete them (You are only deleting all your music from your phone)

Now open the Music app on your iPhone and verify that all your music was deleted. Also, you may have to manually delete any playlist you created on your phone as well. Once you are done with that, cycle your phone (Turn it off, turn it back on).

Now just sync your phone to your Mac and it'll place all your music back into your phone like new. You should have no issues and all cover art should be where it needs to be. Took me a few hours to figure this out but my phone music is all organized as it should be now. I've also attached a snapshot of what my phone settings are on the Music app. Hope this helps everyone experiencing this problem. Don't forget to back up your phone after you have done this and get rid of the old backups of your phone.

Jan 20, 2021 5:20 PM in response to XxBBVTMxX

I followed these steps with my iPhone 12 Pro and MacBook running Catalina and I still had the same problem. After I un-synched the music library, synched the phone, and manually deleted the music on the phone I also deleted the Music app on the phone, then did a hard reset on the phone and restarted the laptop, then plugged the phone in and synched my music and THEN the album are was restored.

Nov 17, 2020 2:50 PM in response to mditullo

Thank you for your prompt reply,

We'd like to attempt a couple troubleshooting steps to see if we can get that artwork corrected.

We'd like to have you restart the iPhone and attempt the iPhone sync again.

Restart your iPhone

If you notice that the artwork is still incorrect after syncing to your iPhone, we'd like to have reach out to our support team using this link: Get Support

Take care.

Feb 11, 2021 11:57 AM in response to dodsonmd00

Maybe I missed a step but I reloaded all my music and now every single album has incorrect album art.

Here were my steps:

1. In the iPhone settings I deleted my entire music library
  2. Deleted the music app from my iPhone
  3. Did a hard reset of my iPhone
  4. Re-installed the Music app on my iPhone
  5. Restarted my Mac (2015 iMac running Big Sur)
  6. Transfered Music

Anything I'm missing here? On my Mac I have manual manage music setting turned on.

Apr 22, 2021 7:07 AM in response to MRJarrell

These were the steps I made. However I had to repeat the process three times to be successful.

1. In the iPhone settings deleted my entire music library
  3. Did a hard restart of my iPhone
  5. Restarted my Mac
  6. On my Mac have manual manage music setting turned on.
  7. Transfered Music

May 18, 2021 6:59 AM in response to thadchr

These were my exact steps:

1. In the iPhone settings deleted my entire music library (General>iPhone Storage>Music)
  3. Did a hard restart of my iPhone
  5. Restarted my Mac
  6. On my Mac have manual manage music setting turned on.
  7. Transferred Music from my Mac

Nov 17, 2020 11:15 AM in response to mditullo

Hello there mditullo,

We'd like to see how we can help get your Music showing the correct artwork. We enjoy listening to music everyday, so let's see how we can get that displaying properly.

We'd like to ask a few questions so we completely understand the issue. Does this only happen with music imported from Bandcamp? Are you syncing these tracks to the iPhone by syncing directly with iTunes, or using an Apple service like Apple Music or iTunes Match?

Lastly, are both the computer and iPhone running the latest version or iOS and macOS?

Let's start there.

Cheers.

Nov 17, 2020 12:07 PM in response to Eric--F

Hi there. Thanks for responding.

I am downloading AAC files from Bandcamp and importing them into my Music library on MacOS. From there I am transferring to my iPhone using the MacOS Music app (formally iTunes, yeah?). I have the setting for Manual Manage Music, Movies, and TV turned on on my iPhone. I am not using any subscription services like Apple Music or iTunes Match

As of last week my Mac and iPhone were fully up to date. But haven't tried transferring music again since updating my Mac to Big Sur over the weekend.

Dec 29, 2020 10:26 AM in response to mditullo

This didn't work for me. After following all the steps above to delete all music from my iphone, I still had ~100 albums showing up as not downloaded. I tried downloading each one individually, then went back to the settings app and followed the steps above for a second time to remove that newly downloaded music from my phone. The music disappeared from the settings app, but not from Apple Music on my phone - they just went back to showing not downloaded. From that point, I tried resynching my music, but the album artwork jumble just got worse.

Worse, I had already been in contact with Apple Support (who pointed me at this discussion in the first place). I was first told to update to iOS 14.3 and the problem would be resolved with the new version of Apple Music included with the iOS 14.3 update ... " ... I see that you still use 14.2 the Apple Music app has been updated in the 14.3 version the issue you are facing should be a

glitch and and update will fix the issue. Please take a back up and update the

device. Once done sync the new songs that will work. ..."

Except it didn't. So apparently this issue, which seems to have been around for YEARS (googling other phrases describing my issue) is not on Apple's radar screen to fix. Which blows me away, since "synching music" was a core feature of Apple's initial ipod /iphone feature set.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Jan 14, 2021 12:00 PM in response to mditullo

I am running an iphone 12 pro max on 14.3 and had this issue after getting my new phone.

I was able to solve it thus:

I selected the phone in iTunes and and unchecked the box for "Sync Music xxxx songs" in the music section underneath "Summary"

I then synched the phone removing all playlists and music.

I opened the music app on the phone and it still showed the songs with the 'bad' cover art but all playlists were gone.

I then rechecked the box for "Synch Music" and kicked off another synch,

After all music was reloaded on to the phone, the issue was resolved.

Feb 8, 2021 3:15 PM in response to Ewok124

Ewok124, you have the correct answer. At least for me. You basically have to remove everything Music from the phone. Not just manually delete via Settings/Music/Downloaded Music/Edit/All songs/Delete. But also delete the Music app itself and all associated data, re-install the Music app from the App Store, restart the phone and re-sync. Worked for me, so thanks for the input.

Feb 9, 2021 6:59 AM in response to dodsonmd00

dodsonmd00, your solution made a major improvement, so THANK YOU. But ... randomly picking through my phone's library after your process, I've already found 2 albums where the wrong artwork is on the album in my phone but the correct artwork is on the album in my Mac's library.

Really frustrated and disappointed with Apple that they allow this to continue. The very first thing I did (we probably all did) with our very first iphone was to synch our music. To have that become less than reliable speaks volumes that Apple is paying attention to other things at the expense of existing, basic infrastructure.

Feb 9, 2021 7:38 AM in response to dlairel

dlairel, you're most welcome, glad it helped. Actually the major credit goes to Ewok124, his suggestions really put me on the right track after the preceding suggestions in this thread only provided partial improvement. But apparently, as you have found, it still is not totally better. My only thought would be to be sure you completely delete all your previous iPhone backups before you re-sync and reload your library. You may even need to repeat the procedure completely, but at least you now have a game plan.

You can see by the numerous responses in this thread and others that this is a common problem. And as much as we love Apple products, there will always be some annoying issues in the digital process. This community forum is a valuable resource for these problems, but you do have to dig through the threads to find what you need. Good luck and remember to post any solutions you come up with.

Music on iOS displaying wrong album artwork with iPhone 12 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.