Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hotmail not working on iPhone

I recently updated to the newest iOS software on my iPhone 11. It asked me to re-enter the password for my Hotmail email account yesterday, which I did and it connected correctly and was downloading messages. As of this morning, it is again saying account not authenticated, and when I try to enter the password in settings it brings me to an Outlook page showing my email. When I click “Next” I then receive the message “You can't sign in here with a personal account. Use your work or school account instead.” If I click on the “cannot access account” link below, I am faced with the same error message. I have been using this account with iOS for many years without issue and this email is linked with many important accounts (including my Apple ID), so it is not feasible to just create a new email.

Thanks in advance for any help!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 10, 2020 10:46 AM

Lauradin wrote:

I recently updated to the newest iOS software on my iPhone 11. It asked me to re-enter the password for my Hotmail email account yesterday, which I did and it connected correctly and was downloading messages. As of this morning, it is again saying account not authenticated, and when I try to enter the password in settings it brings me to an Outlook page showing my email. When I click “Next” I then receive the message “You can't sign in here with a personal account. Use your work or school account instead.” If I click on the “cannot access account” link below, I am faced with the same error message. I have been using this account with iOS for many years without issue and this email is linked with many important accounts (including my Apple ID), so it is not feasible to just create a new email.

This is the 2nd post I've seen on this issue, it is either a microsoft or hotmail issue.

Contact both or look at their support site.

It could be that their site is down.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 10, 2020 10:46 AM in response to Lauradin

Lauradin wrote:

This is the 2nd post I've seen on this issue, it is either a microsoft or hotmail issue.

Contact both or look at their support site.

It could be that their site is down.

Nov 23, 2020 8:57 AM in response to Lauradin

Same issues as well. Nothing from Microsoft stating it’s their issue. I haven’t found anything from apple either.

One of my Hotmail’s works fine.

The other two aren’t.

My main stopped working on my iPhone X. Then I upgraded to 12Pro my main still isn’t working (I’ve had it over 12yrs), then my step sons stopped.

However, my spam one still works. My spouse has Gmail and yahoo which have no issues and are also linked on my phone.

Hotmail not working on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.