Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 2009 4,1 Boots to black screen with cursor in top left corner: keyboard startup commands unresponsive.

Hey all.

This is my second question about this machine. I recently fixed the last issue or so it seemed...

Here's a link to the last conversation about the issue just incase they two issues do happen to be related:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252018688?answerId=253845410022#253845410022

This time around I got the computer to work after doing so many things. But now since I turned off my computer and brought it to the living room, I turned it back on and had the error listed in the title. Keep in mind I don't think I've ever had access to the MacOS recover page or any of the other keyboard startup shortcut places. THe only I can access them is by using a boot disk with my current os on it. That being said I"m going to try this now to fix this error and see if it works but does anyone know how to keep this from happening? Should I update the firmware to 5,1?

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 3:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 6:02 AM

So it seems to only have worked one time. IT was the snow leopard grey disk. I think it was for a macbook pro. The actually installer would not work, but it allows you access to time machine and terminal and disk utility etc.

I realized now that my mac pro has an issue switching to windows in any capacity. Its possible that my mac pro has trouble switching to a diff boot drive all together and it has nothing to do with windows becasue this issue still persist. That once I select a boot drive from boot camp the computer shuts off and restarts to a flashing underscore in the upper left hand of a black screen.

I'm gonna make a new thread about it with a better title

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2020 6:02 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

So it seems to only have worked one time. IT was the snow leopard grey disk. I think it was for a macbook pro. The actually installer would not work, but it allows you access to time machine and terminal and disk utility etc.

I realized now that my mac pro has an issue switching to windows in any capacity. Its possible that my mac pro has trouble switching to a diff boot drive all together and it has nothing to do with windows becasue this issue still persist. That once I select a boot drive from boot camp the computer shuts off and restarts to a flashing underscore in the upper left hand of a black screen.

I'm gonna make a new thread about it with a better title

Mac Pro 2009 4,1 Boots to black screen with cursor in top left corner: keyboard startup commands unresponsive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.