Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating projects copied from old external drive

I copied iMovie projects from an old external drive to a new external drive. To update, iMovie says to connect the old drive, which I no longer have. Can I update the project copies that are on the new drive? If so, how do I do that?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 11, 2020 5:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 7:44 AM

It looks like you may be using the feature in iMovie 10 (File/Update Projects and Events) to update the projects and events into iMovie from an earlier version of iMovie, either iMovie 7, 8, or 9. Correct? Or you are just trying to open the projects in the earlier version of iMovie?

If the former, take a look at this thread and see if anything in there helps you:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250143128?answerId=250272113022#250272113022

You must copy over to the external drive the two folders in your Movie folder that are titled iMovie Projects and iMovie Events. Both folders need to be stored at the root level of the external drive, not in any other folders, so that iMovie can find them.

If you are just trying to open the projects in the earlier version of iMovie, copy the earlier iMovie app itself to the external drive along with the two folders that I described above.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2020 7:44 AM in response to Eliot Hudson

It looks like you may be using the feature in iMovie 10 (File/Update Projects and Events) to update the projects and events into iMovie from an earlier version of iMovie, either iMovie 7, 8, or 9. Correct? Or you are just trying to open the projects in the earlier version of iMovie?

If the former, take a look at this thread and see if anything in there helps you:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250143128?answerId=250272113022#250272113022

You must copy over to the external drive the two folders in your Movie folder that are titled iMovie Projects and iMovie Events. Both folders need to be stored at the root level of the external drive, not in any other folders, so that iMovie can find them.

If you are just trying to open the projects in the earlier version of iMovie, copy the earlier iMovie app itself to the external drive along with the two folders that I described above.

-- Rich

Updating projects copied from old external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.