Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp failing to install Win10 on old MBP

So here I am, in the year of our Lord 2020, trying to install Windows 10 on to my old trusty MacBook Pro (late-2013). The BC software has already created a partition in NTFS, I'm using a Fat32 formatted USB drive to house the BC software and windows files, and I'm getting so far as seeing the Windows logo appear on restart.

However, after a few moments of the logo on screen, the screen turns that familiar windows blue background colour (but nothing else shown), and then my MBP just turns off. When i check the NTFS partition there's nothing there as far as Finder shows me.

I appreciate this is a later version of windows than the MBP itself, but has anyone else had this issue and found a solution?

I've tried following the steps in a previous help post but as I say, I only get so far before the MBP just switches off.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 8:30 AM

You have two issues.

• W10 1903 and later do not work well with a 2013 Mac. I assume you are using W10 20H2 ISO. You may end up using an older ISO, if you can find a reliable source.
  • You have a dual-GPU Mac. The BC drivers package should be 6.0.6136 (Product Version in Bootcamp.xml). This has older drivers for nVidia, which is the GPU which Windows will see. You may need to download the latest GT750m drivers from nVidia Support and replace the ones on the USB.

Also, Generic Flash media can run into bootability issues. You may want to consider a reputable USB2 (not USB3) flash drive.

I personally like the Late 2013-2014 models, partly because they are the last Macs to support both legacy BIOS and UEFI Windows.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2020 8:30 AM in response to Sibbaldl

You have two issues.

• W10 1903 and later do not work well with a 2013 Mac. I assume you are using W10 20H2 ISO. You may end up using an older ISO, if you can find a reliable source.
  • You have a dual-GPU Mac. The BC drivers package should be 6.0.6136 (Product Version in Bootcamp.xml). This has older drivers for nVidia, which is the GPU which Windows will see. You may need to download the latest GT750m drivers from nVidia Support and replace the ones on the USB.

Also, Generic Flash media can run into bootability issues. You may want to consider a reputable USB2 (not USB3) flash drive.

I personally like the Late 2013-2014 models, partly because they are the last Macs to support both legacy BIOS and UEFI Windows.

Nov 13, 2020 2:22 AM in response to Loner T

Duel I believe. In the interest of providing forthright information I've taken a bunch of screenshots of what I hope are relevant specs (sorry for image spam):

USB deets:

The BC partition

Device overview:

Graphics:

My USB structure before restart. Potentially important here is that sometimes after running Bootcamp, the $WinPEDriver$ and Bootcamp folders are empty. In this instance I've separately downloaded the support files to local disk and copied across.

Hope this helps in some way. Thanks for the interest!

Nov 14, 2020 1:55 AM in response to Loner T

Ok so some progress to report:

I downloaded an older Win10 iso following the instructions here (unfortunately I didn't note which version I downloaded, however I do know it was the earliest available) and used BC to format and then copy to the same generic USB I mentioned earlier (I don't have another to use right now). I also copied over the $WinPEDriver$ and Bootcamp folders also mentioned earlier because - not for the first time - after running BC those folders mentioned were empty.

Upon restarting the machine and booting to EFI I saw this heavenly vision:

Feeling cocky I accepted the defaults and clicked Next.

Then, I was greeted with this:

Clicking OK just showed another error of similar wording, and Browse didnt help as whenever I picked a source it showed an error dialog saying it couldn't find any drivers.

Just wanted to post my progress, and it does feel like progress, in case there's any snippet of information that may help move things along.

Nov 14, 2020 12:03 PM in response to Loner T

Huh, interesting. Perhaps I can simply try the next ISO on the Media Creation Tool list then.

To answer your questions, the downloaded ISO filename was simply named "Windows10Home.iso". I can't remember if I rename this as part of the ISO download process. I've just reran MCT (see below screenshot) and picked version 1607 to download, and when it came to saving the ISO, the prepopulated name was simply "Windows.iso". Perhaps this was the case for previously, too. Sorry that's not very helpful.

As for the MD5:

certutil -hashfile Windows10Home.iso MD5
MD5 hash of Windows10Home.iso:
7a3d39f06101c9af1dd562ff5835dffc

Finally just for reference, I re-ran the MCT to check which version number I downloaded (1507):

Very much appreciate your help thus far Loner T, thank you.

Nov 13, 2020 5:30 PM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T

Thanks again for the insight. I've checked and can indeed confirm I'm using the 20H2 ISO, and that the BC package is version 6.0.6136. I'll see if I can find an earlier ISO, and if there are more up to date drivers at NVIDIA and replace those on the USB. Do I presume correctly that I should simply replace the whole BootCamp > Drivers > Nvidia folder?

I'll also use a USB2 external HDD and see if that helps anything too.

Will report back with my progress in a few days, baby permitting.

Cheers

p.s. I absolutely love this MBP. I only upgraded because I live in a sub tropical climate and the old girl felt like it might melt at any given moment. Still does a great job for a 7 year old machine though.

Nov 13, 2020 8:52 PM in response to Sibbaldl

Sibbaldl wrote:

Do I presume correctly that I should simply replace the whole BootCamp > Drivers > Nvidia folder?

I will copy the latest driver to the USB and manually install it, before the BC installer

I'll also use a USB2 external HDD and see if that helps anything too.

A USB HDD will cause issues. Use a USB2 Flash drive.

Will report back with my progress in a few days, baby permitting.

Little humans take precedence over installing W7 on a 2014 MBP. 😉

p.s. I absolutely love this MBP. I only upgraded because I live in a sub tropical climate and the old girl felt like it might melt at any given moment. Still does a great job for a 7 year old machine though.

As long as you keep the fans clean, it is a very nice and loyal Mac.

Bootcamp failing to install Win10 on old MBP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.