Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Catalina - End of Life

Where can I find details about OS end of life. In this case, my MBP mid 2012 has the latest version of Catalina. Since it does not support Big Sur, when does Catalina go into end of life (meaning no more security updates and/or updates in general).

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 3:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2020 11:08 AM

As mentioned in that article, Apple's convention to date has been to continue to provide security updates for the current version (now Big Sur) and two previous versions. ( Catalina and Mojave)

This time around, they issued an update for High Sierra when Big Sur was released. (This may be the final Update for High Sierra)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 17, 2020 11:08 AM in response to siffis

As mentioned in that article, Apple's convention to date has been to continue to provide security updates for the current version (now Big Sur) and two previous versions. ( Catalina and Mojave)

This time around, they issued an update for High Sierra when Big Sur was released. (This may be the final Update for High Sierra)

Nov 17, 2020 11:12 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Noted. I definitely see that may be the case for High Sierra. Looking for EOL, I could not find any official items from Apple. I continued to find other sites commenting but no support articles directly from apple.

I knew EOL was coming for my hardware. Just glad I can continue using it for another year or so. Even then, I may just format it and place a different OS but will need to get a replacement MBP. Cant complain, this little machine has been great. (MBP Mid 2012).

OS Catalina - End of Life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.