Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long after purchase can I wait to buy AppleCare in California?

I am going to purchase an i5 13" MacBook pro at Costco this week.

Part 1: Costco offers a generous second year manufacturer's warranty. How long after I make the purchase can I still buy Applecare? This site says "some countries" allow a year and "some countries" allow a different duration, so no help for me. I will definitely buy it, I've always managed to use it.

Part 2: I might break down and want to turn it in for the newer processor before I open and use the i5 device. That would void the Applecare I buy for the i5 model, correct?

So, if anyone knows with certainty how long I can defer purchasing AppleCare with a new computer, I would love to get the definitive Apple reference.

Many thanks!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 4:38 PM

3 replies

Nov 12, 2020 5:31 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I agree, and I am comparing the two. The newest models just came up on the Costco site today for comparison, available to ship after 11/30/2020.

I probably don't need the extra battery life (don't expect to be walking around with it much), and I'm a mostly email/ internet search/ light MS Office user. I have a large photo library but don't do other graphics. I listen to a lot of music.

Newest isn't always greatest, is there some reason you think I should consider it more seriously?

This doesn't address the question that Costco offers a second year warranty, so deferring buying AppleCare would be helpful to me, as it won't kick in until year three.

How long after purchase can I wait to buy AppleCare in California?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.