Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snapshot volume? com.apple.os.update-xxxxxx in Disk Utility

I installed Big Sur today. In the disk utility I see now a new volume.

Macintosh HD

com.apple.os.update-779BDF1556C6F688504E24FB29C75AFFABFCB91E701806FFFF35235E19914F1E

Is this a renaming bug and should it have another name? Or is it a left over from upgrading

Posted on Nov 12, 2020 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 5:27 PM

Same here and I did a clean instal erasing the APFS group. Well apparently it's normal. Something to do with securing system files from malware... https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/11/macos-11-0-big-sur-the-ars-technica-review/11/

18 replies

Mar 16, 2021 2:45 AM in response to Lt.Tuvok

This is pretty normal and no one needs to do anything.

This name of partition/volume is scary and if it is not scary then also it surely is frustrating for some users who might take it otherwise that their valuable space (yes, I know it because I use a 128Gigs Macbook Air) is taken up by something that's not at all necessary.

But when you see the free space in SSD it will be shown as Free Space=128GB-System space-Stored Data space+AFPS com.apple.os.update drive space.

Yes, a "+"

That taken up space is not taken up, it just shows it that way and is actually purgeable space that will be freed when needed.

NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT IT

Nov 14, 2020 2:04 AM in response to Lt.Tuvok

For what it's worth, I am seeing exactly the same as you:

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not but it does not seem to affect my Mac or how Big Sur operates on it.

Originally, I upgraded from Catalina but I have since completed a clean install of Big Sur on my 2020 13" MacBook Pro. I can't remember what the partition map looked like after upgrade from Catalina.

Did you just upgrade from Catalina or did you do a clean install as well?

Steve

Nov 18, 2020 9:39 AM in response to Lt.Tuvok

yeah after re installing several times as i assumed this was my error* causing the strange name to the volume! (* i thought it was bc i tried out a BS beta first)

but the replies are correct - its standard BS OS stuff, i think its a 64 char key/name unique to your system/hardware to protect system integrity & security.

and in a short explanation, this is better when updating the system securely while its live, it uses a snapshot (copy of the volume) then the safely updated snapshot used as the updated system on reboot, so yeah everyone as you were back to work, panic over hahah

Snapshot volume? com.apple.os.update-xxxxxx in Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.