Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can someone help me please? I would like to save all my iMovie files on an external drive, can I also install the iMovie app on the same drive too? thank you, Michael K

Can I install iMovie on an external drive and save all the files to it?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 4:23 AM

8 replies

Nov 13, 2020 9:18 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thank you so much Ian, my reason for this is that my grandson has his own account on my MacMini, the fact that he has many movie files means that I have so little space on the HD that I don’t have enough room to install Big Sur. would you agree that I should transfer his files to an external drive to solve the problem?

I really appreciate your advice, thank you.

Nov 13, 2020 11:44 AM in response to crikeymkey263

You could copy the Library to the hard drive and then put the original Library, which by default will be in the Movies folder, into the trash.

DO NOT DELETE THE TRASH at this moment.

Check that the transferred Library is working.

If it works OK it should be safe to delete the trash to free up space.

Do you actually need to keep the old Library and Projects? Usually the project is exported (shared) as a video and the Project is deleted.

The only reason for keeping old projects is if there is a chance you will want to re-edit them in the future.

These are things that only you can decide.

can someone help me please? I would like to save all my iMovie files on an external drive, can I also install the iMovie app on the same drive too? thank you, Michael K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.