Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 7plus dropped in water

Yesterday I dropped my phone into water, I quickly removed it and I thoroughly dried it out. it never stopped working. however, now I need to charge it the charger will not go into the phone. I have tried a number of chargers to no avail. Help gratefully received !

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 8:35 AM

10 replies

Nov 13, 2020 9:32 AM in response to problemwithcharger

problemwithcharger wrote:

Thank you. I did use rice and kept the phone moderately warm too, Ive looked at the port and can't see anything obstructing it....

Make sure you're under a very bright light and, if you have a magnifier, get that out and look. I have seen a single grain of rice lodge across the back of the charging port in such a way that, without the bright light and magnifier, I never would have seen it. You might also try carefully probing with a non-conductive tool such as a wooden toothpick.

Nov 13, 2020 10:08 AM in response to problemwithcharger

You could take it to a repair shop, they will use a special tweezer and a magnifier to do that repair. We do those repairs free of charge for our customers. In our experience non- waterproof phones subject to full water immersion will fail at some point as the water impurities dry on the connections so make sure everything is in your iCloud.

Nov 13, 2020 10:10 AM in response to Metaldog_Machines

Metaldog_Machines wrote:

You could take it to a repair shop, they will use a special tweezer and a magnifier to do that repair. We do those repairs free of charge for our customers. In our experience non- waterproof phones subject to full water immersion will fail at some point as the water impurities dry on the connections so make sure everything is in your iCloud.

Excellent advice.

Nov 13, 2020 10:41 AM in response to problemwithcharger

I am staggered but you were absolutely right! it was a grain that was stuck right at the back , deep into the port completely invisible to the naked eye without a very bright light and a very strong magnifying lamp. How on earth does the rice get in there in the first place?-it was bigger than the portal! I tried everything to shift it eg wooden cocktail stick, plastic tooth pick, but it wouldn't budge. However, because I thought it was a lost cause I took a minute scalpel blade to it and chipped off bits of the grain until it all just slid out-quite unbelievable!! Phone on charge now! Very many thanks Idris.

Nov 13, 2020 10:57 AM in response to problemwithcharger

problemwithcharger wrote:

I am staggered but you were absolutely right! it was a grain that was stuck right at the back , deep into the port completely invisible to the naked eye without a very bright light and a very strong magnifying lamp. How on earth does the rice get in there in the first place?-it was bigger than the portal! I tried everything to shift it eg wooden cocktail stick, plastic tooth pick, but it wouldn't budge. However, because I thought it was a lost cause I took a minute scalpel blade to it and chipped off bits of the grain until it all just slid out-quite unbelievable!! Phone on charge now! Very many thanks Idris.

I swear there is something magic magnet at the back of the lightning ports that pulls in and holds rice, pocket lint, random other stuff.

For the future, rice doesn't actually work. ;-)

iPhone 7plus dropped in water

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.