Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Menu Bar Visibility Big Sur

So I just updated to MacOS Big Sur and while looking at all the new features, I couldn't help but notice that the Menu Bar has seemingly gotten smaller; either that or because it is now transparent, it is harder to see. In any case, the Menu Bar is too small for my liking and I was wondering if it's possible to change it's size like you would with the doc. Thanks!

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 8:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 8:23 AM

Howdy,

There is a setting in the Accessibility Preference to choose a larger Font Size in the Menu Bar.

Menu bar size

Click the pop-up menu to change the font size in the menu bar to Large or back to Default. You must log out and log in again to see the change in menu bar font size.

Does that make it more readable for you?

Note you can choose a Scaled resolution in the Display Preference and choose Larger Text to make everything onscreen bigger, at the tradeoff of less onscreen.

ivan

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2020 8:23 AM in response to Pablo_Ven

Howdy,

There is a setting in the Accessibility Preference to choose a larger Font Size in the Menu Bar.

Menu bar size

Click the pop-up menu to change the font size in the menu bar to Large or back to Default. You must log out and log in again to see the change in menu bar font size.

Does that make it more readable for you?

Note you can choose a Scaled resolution in the Display Preference and choose Larger Text to make everything onscreen bigger, at the tradeoff of less onscreen.

ivan

Dec 22, 2020 3:12 PM in response to Pierre Froelicher1

Welcome to the club:

Here's how I had to deal with it on a 27" iMac 2017: I did everything that ivan54 described and also went to the Dark Mode. That gave me this menu bar which is easier for me to read:

I also use the Dark Reader extension in Safari to get the dark mode in Safari. Having white text on black is much less stressful on my old eyes.

Nov 16, 2020 4:38 AM in response to Pablo_Ven

No. The menu bar is designed to appear as it is without any size adjustment — though you can increase the menu bar's contrast (darker) via System Preferences : Accessibility : Display panel, and selecting Reduce transparency. Apple is clearly assuming that we are either all teenagers with perfect vision, or have a current computer eyewear prescription.

Nov 16, 2020 4:45 AM in response to VikingOSX

Haha. I am 55 and just upgraded my 2017 macbook to the beautiful Big Sur. And.. everything is smaller.. the icons, the fonts, the menu bar.. soo.. yes.. I think that is getting older.. you get crouded out by 27 year old Developers that never wore glasses and think it just beautiful.. Do not get me wrong.. liked BIG SUR.. .but hey... even though I work with software.. early adopter and all.. might be that I end my life being one of those that never updates once it works.. they will bury my on a boat set on fire with my 20 years old computer and kick me out to sea.

Nov 16, 2020 4:55 AM in response to Pierre Froelicher1

Viking funerals aside, my optometrist provides me with a specific computer eyeglass prescription, especially due to the long days in front of macOS. Apple appears adrift with their UI design, and shrinking the Finder menu bar, and expanding the application toolbar height with rearranged, smaller icons is not making my Mac time more enjoyable.

Menu Bar Visibility Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.