Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does attempting to install Safari 14.0.1 in Catalina also force the install of Big Sur?

Does installing Safari 14.0.1 (shown on system updates alongside Big Sur) also force the install of Big Sur? (I cannot allow installation of Big Sur yet due to incompatibilities with existing software.)

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 9:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 5:22 PM

Hi 1kFazer143,

I just downloaded the Safari 14.0.1 update successfully WITHOUT installing big sur. Don't worry, it will not install macOS Big Sur.

Even if you download the Big Sur update, it will download a .app that installs the OS. So even if you accidentally clicked on the update, you can always quit the installer and delete the Big Sur installer.app

Cheers, Jack

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2020 5:22 PM in response to 1kFazer143

Hi 1kFazer143,

I just downloaded the Safari 14.0.1 update successfully WITHOUT installing big sur. Don't worry, it will not install macOS Big Sur.

Even if you download the Big Sur update, it will download a .app that installs the OS. So even if you accidentally clicked on the update, you can always quit the installer and delete the Big Sur installer.app

Cheers, Jack

Does attempting to install Safari 14.0.1 in Catalina also force the install of Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.