Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp not booting in Big Sur using Macbook Pro Late 2014

Just installed Big Sur on late 2014 MacBook Pro 15 yesterday. I've used Bootcamp for my windows partition for years and never had an issue until this OS update and I'm trying to resolve. Bootcamp is supported on Intel Macs using Big Sur OS, but I cannot boot from the drive with this update - either via System Preferences selection or manual startup using the Option key during boot. The Mac chimes 2-3 times, but never boots into Windows, instead going back to the Mac partition. Hopefully this is a software quirk that will get quickly resolved.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 9:54 AM

95 replies

Dec 21, 2020 8:00 AM in response to gianfranco09

gianfranco09 wrote:

Hoping for a miracle this season...

Take a look at

The role of boot.efi is documented. Till Apple can work out the gremlins in Big Sur UEFI, my recommendation is to stay on Catalina.

Nov 14, 2020 8:02 PM in response to jamesfromwirral

I am having the same Windows 10 boot-up problem on my mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro after upgrading to mac OS Big Sur. I really do not want to have to reinstall Windows 10 using bootcamp and have not had any issues with bootcamp on past versions of mac OS including latest version of Catalina. I granted full disk access to System Preferences, but computer still won't boot into Windows. When I open my bootcamp hard drive icon on my desktop I can see all of my Windows files and folders. When I go into Disk Utility and select my Bootcamp partition the First Aid option is greyed out. I am fairly computer literate but don't want to risk doing something that accidentally deletes my Windows 10 partition and data. It would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated to have a detailed, step-by-step procedure on how to fix this issue without having to reinstall Windows 10. Thanks in advance for your help.

Nov 21, 2020 9:13 AM in response to LoShinso

Just share here with you that I had a phonecall from Applecare and they asked questions about this issue.

He asked when installed Big Sur and asked me to restart and tell what happens.

And it booted again in Apple and not windows, although it was set as startingdisk in Apple (and windows).

They had me run and I uploaded the results of the systemdiagnose.

He said Appleteam bootcamp will for sure investigate this and it will be resolved in an update.

Hope this will speedup the resolvent if this issue.

Feb 26, 2021 7:53 AM in response to aboriginal

I have a MacBook Pro 2014 15 inch. I had a similar problem with Big Sur. I had not installed Windows on it.

• I put System Preferences in the Full Disk Access list.
  • I ran through the Book Camp Assistant
  • The Mac refused to boot into Windows, so I restarted and held down the option key so it showed available disks to boot from.
  • 3 disks appeared on the boot screen. Choosing "Windows' doesn't do anything, you have to choose "EFI Boot". This will boot from the USB key.
  • Move on with installing windows.

Nov 13, 2020 10:10 AM in response to aboriginal

Which macOS version did you upgrade from?

• Does System Preferences have full-disk access to the Bootcamp partition?
  • Check if you have a Microsoft directory in the EFI(ESP) partition.

Also, the APFS layer has changed in macOS, which may cause issues AppleControlPanel.exe. As a test, if you have Catalina or Mojave on an external disk

Nov 15, 2020 4:47 AM in response to tsquare5

This worked for me but it’s still glitchy to load windows .

1. open terminal
  2. Type “diskutil list”

find your windows disk name (for example it may read disk0s2)

3. type in terminal “sudo diskutil mount disk0s2” “sudo diskutil unmount disk0s2”

4.Restart your computer and hold down option.

5.after you put click into boot camp continue to hold down options

6.If it restarts into Mac OS just restart and boot windows and continue to hold down options until windows boots up

Note: windows might try to load up a repair mode but it should let you also load up windows . This will be a slow load up time but after 2 restarts it worked for me. Good luck . Apple will have to provide an update for this bug .

Nov 15, 2020 1:32 PM in response to aboriginal

I have found a solution for the exact same issue, thanks to one of Apple's senior tech support agents!

Please do the following steps:

1. Go to "System Preferences"
  2. Select "Startup Disk"
  3. Choose the "Windows" drive
  4. Reboot for a couple of times until you can log back into Windows

I have followed those exact steps and it worked for me. So I hope it works for everyone too!

Nov 21, 2020 12:17 PM in response to MAK787

MAK787 wrote:

Probably they have listened to the complaints of update bricking some Mac models, specially the 2013 & 2014 ones.

I can still download macOS Big Sur on a 2012 MBP running Sierra. This was a few minutes ago.

I am surprised that the update is missing from your Software Update. Can you check if you can access the App Store and see Big Sur?

Nov 22, 2020 4:54 AM in response to Loner T

I am actually happy to see this. If they have stopped problematic models from updating, its actually good. Instead of bricking one's mac, its better to wait for more stable release. Yes, I can access app store and by searching, it shows it right there but it doesn't show in system preferences --> software update.

Nov 13, 2020 10:20 AM in response to Loner T

Catalina - all up to date before Big Sur

System Pref sees the Bootcamp partition. I select and reboot, but comes back into Mac OS.

Unsure on how to check for a msft dir in the drive partition.

The system does take longer to boot since Big Sur install yesterday. As noted, manually holding the option key accesses the partition select, but after selecting I get 2-3 Apple chimes and boots back into Apple OS.

Thanks for the input

Bootcamp not booting in Big Sur using Macbook Pro Late 2014

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.