Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blurry display in Big Sur, bad quality fonts.

I updated to Big Sur from Catalina. All the text seems far more blurry now. It's clear enough that I can make out the text, but almost all the text is a bit more of a struggle to read visually on my 2017 MacBook Air. Different background colors make it slightly better or worse. My 2015 Air on Catalina is much easier to read - they had the same desktop settings before I installed Big Sur. Are there settings to improve the font quality on Big Sur? I included a little screen capture of some tiny poor quality text within the Home.app, but the menu bar and other fonts are of poor quality.

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 9:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2021 3:00 PM

Agree with this. I've seen this with external monitors on every Mac that was upgraded to Big Sur. The fonts on external monitors are horrible when scaled. I even replaced a 34" hi-res monitor with same monitor with lower resolution (to match what "scaled" makes it) and it is still horrible. Tried everything... SwitchResX, terminal commands, etc. All horrible. It's so incredibly obviously horrible. Very disappointing. I had to reinstall Catalina and it's back to being crisp, clear, and beautiful. Fix Big Sur's External Monitor Fonts! I had to return my Macbook M1 for this very reason. Disaster!

Similar questions

26 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2021 3:00 PM in response to Erimuc

Agree with this. I've seen this with external monitors on every Mac that was upgraded to Big Sur. The fonts on external monitors are horrible when scaled. I even replaced a 34" hi-res monitor with same monitor with lower resolution (to match what "scaled" makes it) and it is still horrible. Tried everything... SwitchResX, terminal commands, etc. All horrible. It's so incredibly obviously horrible. Very disappointing. I had to reinstall Catalina and it's back to being crisp, clear, and beautiful. Fix Big Sur's External Monitor Fonts! I had to return my Macbook M1 for this very reason. Disaster!

Feb 24, 2021 10:54 AM in response to LanceAJ

I had this problem with Big Sur and a Dell 32" monitor, but oddly enough not another 1x Dell sitting next to it.

I tried the font-smoothing terminal command, no luck.

I tried setting scaling to 'Default for display', no luck.

What worked: On the affected monitor there was a new setting in System Prefs > Display, High Dynamic Range, turning that off fixed readability and it's back to what it was, and is fixed for me.

Dec 20, 2020 1:44 PM in response to yakbutter

yakbutter wrote:

I did the terminal fix for my machine and it worked. I'm not trying to be a smart-***, but I did have to reboot after I posted the line in terminal.

Lucky for you, for me it doesnt do sh*t just makes the fonts less bold. Still blurry asf. This happend after installing Big Sur 11.0.1 and even on 11.1 its still an issue on M1 macbooks

Dec 30, 2020 9:05 AM in response to LanceAJ

Solution!

I had the same problem when I updated to big sur but I just fixed it! The code some people posted for terminal did nothing. Not only were most fonts blurry but my desktop background was too. This is what I did:

System preferences

Displays

Resolution

Choose "default for display"

It was on a scaled setting so everything was slightly enlarged. I don't understand why it couldn't still be good resolution but my screen went black and then came back crystal clear. It was like putting glasses on. Hope this helps!

Jan 3, 2021 4:52 AM in response to DenKyr

Coming from Windows and be happy with the hardware Macbook Air M1 I now have this problem with blurred fonts on an external display with scaled view. What happens to Apple to don‘t solve this feature basically as it is solved in Windows? I am very dissapointed, font sharpness is an ergometric important fact. Shall I wait now for Windows running on M1? And if I see all the forum entries to this topic from the last years with various configurations and realizing, that still here is no solution from Apple, I am shocked.

Apr 12, 2021 9:32 AM in response to LanceAJ

I found something that seems to have helped. I had the same issue: Blurry 4K monitor at home and then really blurry remote desktop connection to work. I found something in the Remote Desktop Preferences (not the Apple preferences)

Remote Desktop --> "Preferences" --> "General" tab --> Uncheck the "use hardware acceleration when possible" --> Set "Graphics interpolation" level to "high".

Blurry display in Big Sur, bad quality fonts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.