Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Under Big Sur my Mail Trash folder is missing from my favorites. How do I get it back?

Under Big Sur my Mail Trash folder (Deleted files) is missing from my favorites. How do I get it back?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 10:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 2:25 PM

Scroll down the side bar to the bottom where the Inbox, Sent, Junk, Trash and Archive mailboxes for each user account your have and drag the Trash mailbox up to the Favorites section.

Or you can create a smart album with this criteria:

and place it at the top of the Smart Mailboxes section:

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2020 2:25 PM in response to Nick189

Scroll down the side bar to the bottom where the Inbox, Sent, Junk, Trash and Archive mailboxes for each user account your have and drag the Trash mailbox up to the Favorites section.

Or you can create a smart album with this criteria:

and place it at the top of the Smart Mailboxes section:

Nov 15, 2020 7:07 AM in response to Nick189

This is much easier than most of the replies indicate. I had the same issue after upgrading to Big Sur. Simply open your email, in the left sidebar, at the very top above "All Inboxes" you will see "Favorites". Hover over "favorites" and then click on the + sign. A box will open. Click on the arrow in the drop down menu and choose the folders you wish to display. If you have more than one email account, click on "All Trash". That will add the trash folder back and all your deleted emails will be there.

Nov 20, 2020 10:58 AM in response to guy toronto

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and try from there.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Jan 27, 2021 4:39 PM in response to Old Toad

I added the trash folder back to Favorites successfully (as an aside... I think some folks are struggling finding the "+" symbol because you have to contract the grey sidebar temporarily to make the "+" situated right next to the word "Favorites" -- when it's a little over to the right, it keeps disappearing).

However I have multiple email accounts, and every time I delete something it keeps creating a new "trash" folder for that particular email account under "On My Mac". I have around 10 email accounts, and will eventually end up with 10 extra trash folders under "On My Mac". Anything I delete goes to the "favorites" trash folder (which is acting like a smart mailbox without me setting it up this way) but the individual trash folders under on my mac... can't figure out why there are there, or how to stop that. Any suggestions?

In the "mailbox Behaviours" for each email account I have each set to

Trash Mailbox > On My Mac > All Trash

Jan 19, 2021 8:43 AM in response to zanderjg

Hi. Thanks for all the helpful info. After doing the above, my deleted mail was still not syncing to the iCloud All Trash folder. I have four non-apple email accounts ... and the other three all had a 'Trash' folder that synced to the respective 'All Trash' folder. However, after updating to Big Sur in my iCloud account a new folder named 'Deleted Items' appeared instead of a 'Trash' folder. I solved the email syncing to the correct icloud 'All Trash' folder by taking the following steps ... >Mail >Preferences >Accounts >iCloud IMAP >Trash Mailbox >Click and choose 'Deleted Items' folder. Now all my deleted mail shows (as it does in 'Trash' on other Apple devices). Hope this is helpful.

Under Big Sur my Mail Trash folder is missing from my favorites. How do I get it back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.