Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Wallpaper Issue

Ever since installing Big Sur, whenever I shut down and then restart my computer, the wallpaper changes from my selection back to the default. I am using an external display (1080p). Perhaps the new dynamic wallpapers are not meant for this resolution? I tried a still image wallpaper also and the same issue occurs. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a known issue?

Thank you,

DK

MacBook

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 5:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 6:16 PM

I have found a workaround for MacBooks:

1. ensure lid is open
  2. disconnect external display
  3. reselect a wallpaper in settings
  4. shut down computer
  5. start up computer without external display connected
  6. reconnect external display
  7. the next time you shut down and restart, the wallpaper saves.

I'm not sure why this worked but for now it is a sufficient workaround.

DK

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 6:16 PM in response to KinTheKnow

I have found a workaround for MacBooks:

1. ensure lid is open
  2. disconnect external display
  3. reselect a wallpaper in settings
  4. shut down computer
  5. start up computer without external display connected
  6. reconnect external display
  7. the next time you shut down and restart, the wallpaper saves.

I'm not sure why this worked but for now it is a sufficient workaround.

DK

Nov 13, 2020 5:47 PM in response to KinTheKnow

KinTheKnow wrote:

Ever since installing Big Sur, whenever I shut down and then restart my computer, the wallpaper changes from my selection back to the default. I am using an external display (1080p). Perhaps the new dynamic wallpapers are not meant for this resolution? I tried a still image wallpaper also and the same issue occurs. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this a known issue?

Thank you,

DK

Let the computer sleep.

If you shut down a reboot takes you to the preboot partition which contains the code that handles the login for an encrypted drive, after that is successfully unlocked it is handed off to the main OS— it is here your user preferences are honored.

Nov 13, 2020 6:03 PM in response to KinTheKnow

Update: The issue is the external display. When the MacBook is disconnected from the display and shut down, it reboots with the correct wallpaper. If the MacBook is shut down and rebooted with the external display (1080p) connected, the wallpaper resets to default. I find it odd that the previous macOS did not do this; only since I updated to Big Sur am I having issues. Hopefully a patch will fix this...

DK

Dec 18, 2020 7:14 AM in response to KinTheKnow

I have a Mac Mini that is displayless. I remotely connect to it from my other Macbook Pro or iPad with Screen Sharing software.

This same thing happens if I reboot the Mini.

I have a rotating background that changes every 30 minutes (photos), and have to go back into Desktop and Wallpaper settings to reset my preference.

It doesn't seem to be directly related to the hardware. The setting doesn't want to stick. I do not have the same issue on my MacBook Pro, also running Big Sur.

Jan 10, 2021 12:27 PM in response to KinTheKnow

I have a changing wallpaper issue in Big Sur (11.1) with two user accounts and two displays, when changing from a Standard account to my Admin account on my Mac Pro.

Anytime I start the Mac and log in to the Standard account everything is fine. When I change to Admin account the second display shows the colorful default wallpaper, that came with Big Sur and I have to change to my chosen dynamic wallpaper.

When I start the Mac and log in to my Admin account and change later to Standard account everything is right.

I didn't have an issue like this with Catalina, so maybe something is wrong with the handover of the wallpaper settings and I hope an update will fix this?

Jan 21, 2021 2:32 AM in response to Joe7600

@Joe7600

Same EXACT* issue is happening to me except I have 1 display connected.

For those thinking it's a display issue. I assure you it's not.

By any chance do you have 'auto log-in' enabled on your standard account ? Because I do.

I'm on the latest version of Big Sur 11.1 on Mac Mini M1.

Due to to the screensaver coming on randomly I had to disable 'fast user switching' and now this.

It's like they insist on showing us that dizzying Big Sur rainbow colored wallpaper even after we change it.

In addition to that the mouse scroll settings are not being saved on restart either but that's another issue.

Soo many annoying bugs on Big Sur. Excuse me while I throw up, I was looking at the default wallpaper for too long.

Jan 21, 2021 11:51 AM in response to Made-In-Italy

No, I don't have 'auto log-in' enabled. Just 2 accounts (one admin, one standard), where I have to log-in with password.

As I told, only have problems when I log-in to Standard account first and then to my admin account, the other way around all is OK. So I really hope Apple can help out with an update to fix all these problems.

Anyway, I will try what "Marc-SmartFactory" wrote.

Jan 31, 2021 8:35 AM in response to Made-In-Italy

I have a Mac Mini connected to an Apple Thunderbolt Display (primary) and an Apple LED Display. Never had this issue before Big Sur. I will reset the desktop picture and it will display correctly for several days and then BAM! the big red ugly default picture displays.

And, honestly folks, there are two issues here: 1: the software doesn't work right and it (at least for me) is a new issue specifically with Big Sur; and 2: How in the heck could Apple make something that horrendous as the default desktop? It's truly unpleasant and once I switch to my selected desktop picture, my eyes lag with all my rods and cones overloaded with that red monstrosity. Geez Apple, fix this thing now! Please!

Big Sur Wallpaper Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.