Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disabling DNS Prefetching

All,

anyone know how to disable DNS prefetching in safari 5?

I want to do some testing of page load times with it on and off as I have severe hang times loading random url's post safari 5 upgrade.

Thx,
Michael

MBP, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 25, 2010 7:03 PM

21 replies

Jul 26, 2010 1:26 AM in response to Michael Missing

HI,

I found instructions for Firefox but not Safari.

http://www.ehow.com/how4700632disable-prefetching-firefox-improve-performance.html

Since you are experiencing lags, try troubleshooting.

From the Safari Menu Bar, click Safari / Reset Safari. Select the top 5 buttons and click Reset.

Go here for trouble shooting 3rd party plugins or input managers which might be causing the problem. Safari: Add-ons may cause Safari to unexpectedly quit or have performance issues

Go to the Safari Menu Bar, click Safari/Preferences. Make note of all the preferences under each tab. Quit Safari. Now go to ~/Library/Preferences and move this file com.apple.safari.plist to the Desktop.

Relaunch Safari and see if that makes a difference. If not, move the .plist file back to the Preferences folder. If Safari functions as it should, move that .plist file to the Trash.

Carolyn 🙂

Jul 29, 2010 7:44 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Hi Andy,

The problem I have may have been fixed with the latest Safari 5.0.1 patch. They fixed a recently discovered issue with dns-prefetching with may "overburden" some routers. I'm not sure if this ties to the page load time issue I had once I upgraded to 5.0 but post-patch I have not seen any unbearable delays with page loads to the sites where I experienced them.

Cheers,
Michael

Sep 15, 2010 5:26 PM in response to TildeBee

+"The prefetching situation was addressed with the upgrade."+ (Safari 5.0.1)

The update did not completely solve the loading issue for me (though the previous advice to change my DNS settings definitely helped considerably)... but the advice I read today about how to *disable DNS Prefetching* via the Terminal seems to have solved it.

* http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3408*

It may take a while to see if it has been completely solved.

Oct 6, 2010 5:06 AM in response to michaelmckeever9

michaelmckeever9 wrote:
As far as I can tell it's still on, but I have had to run the command several time ad it does not hold at all. Just now some images didn't load and I got a can't connect to the server massage.

I see - sounds as if there's something else amiss.

defaults read com.apple.safari WebKitDNSPrefetchingEnabled

will confirm the setting - it is set per user & (probably) needs Safari restarted to take effect.

Disabling DNS Prefetching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.