Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows go off the screen when desktop is resumed after the screensaver

Hi all,

After Big Sur was installed yesterday, I've been experiencing a weird behaviour with application windows. So far it has happened to three applications.

The windows disappear from the screen as they are gone out of the visible area. I can see them through Mission Control, and then I need to move the disappeared window from Monitor 1 to iMac screen, or from iMac screen to Monitor, depending on where the window was originally located.

It is a very weird behaviour and it could be a graphics driver related issue. Has anyone experienced this? I will try to grab a video of this behaviour if possible.

Thanks,

Michael

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 13, 2020 8:56 PM

Similar questions

23 replies

Nov 14, 2020 2:17 PM in response to Mike Delpach

Log into another vanilla admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and see if the problem persists. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

Also boot into Safe Mode (How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support) by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Nov 14, 2020 2:03 PM in response to Mike Delpach

Mike Delpach wrote:

Hi all,

After Big Sur was installed yesterday, I've been experiencing a weird behaviour with application windows. So far it has happened to three applications.

The windows disappear from the screen as they are gone out of the visible area. I can see them through Mission Control, and then I need to move the disappeared window from Monitor 1 to iMac screen, or from iMac screen to Monitor, depending on where the window was originally located.

It is a very weird behaviour and it could be a graphics driver related issue. Has anyone experienced this? I will try to grab a video of this behaviour if possible.

Thanks,
Michael

You can file a bug report / Apple Feedback http://www.apple.com/feedback

Nov 14, 2020 7:26 AM in response to Mike Delpach

I don't think it's a graphics driver issue. I have an external monitor and prior to Big Sur, I could leave my windows in Mission Control spread out in multiple desktops on the external monitor and on the MacBook Pro monitor and when the Mac resumes from sleep, the windows would be where I left them.

Now, when the Mac resumes from sleep, all the windows are jammed into the MacBook Pro monitor and the external monitor's desktops are all empty. This is extremely annoying.

Nov 14, 2020 2:10 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks, and got this afterwards:

We wouldn't know when it would be resolved.

Thank you for your feedback on macOS.
We cannot respond to you personally, but please know that your message has been received and will be reviewed by the macOS Team. If we need to follow up with you on your ideas for improving macOS, we will contact you directly.
We appreciate your assistance in making macOS better.
macOS Team
Apple

Nov 15, 2020 2:58 AM in response to Old Toad

Unfortunately the Safe Mode does not activate the second monitor, so that did not go far. I am yet to try a new user.

This is the screenshot of a window that sometimes gets offset (not completely disappeared sometimes) which is not as bad when this happens:

https://mike.getsharex.com/2020/11/20201115_kAHTWHinL9.jpg

This window was maximised previously - before the screensaver.

Nov 20, 2020 5:07 PM in response to Mike Delpach

My latest workaround is this:

1) I bought Magnet so I can super-conveniently re-arrange the windows on Spaces.

2) When the windows disappear, I triple-finger-swipe-up on my trackpad to launch Mission Control, then pull each application into its own full-screen space temporarily, then pull it back down into the current Space. That makes the window visible again.

Apple needs to fix this problem ASAP.

Nov 25, 2020 3:29 AM in response to Mike Delpach

Yes! Prior to Big Sur all was well. I have an iMac with a secondary widescreen monitor. Now when the iMac goes to sleep and I wake it up, several windows are gone. If I do the 3 finger swipe up I see all the windows but as soon as I select one it slides off to the right and disappears. Very annoying. I found a workaround (as annoying as it is). If you open System Preferences, Displays, Arrangement tab and check the Mirror Displays box, then uncheck it things go back to normal. I hope a fix is coming soon.

Windows go off the screen when desktop is resumed after the screensaver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.