Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos transferred to new iPhone 12 Pro Max storage instead of staying in iCloud Photos

Hello all,

I received my 12 Pro Max yesterday and I started setting it up right away. I did the transfer files option instead of the iCloud download. I am guilty of taking way too many photos so I use the iCloud Photos option to save room on my phone. The process ended up transferring the photos to my new phones storage instead of keeping them in iCloud. The transfer took over 2 hours and now my storage is too full of photos to finish downloading all of my other apps and data.

Will a reset and restore from iCloud backup fix this?? I bought the same size phone because I had plenty of storage by offloading photos to the cloud and now my brand new phone is basically useless for future downloads and data. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 3:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 8:39 AM

I did the SAME thing yesterday, what a disaster!

I had to reset my new 12 pro max and restore from iCloud back up I did with my old XS max. It worked!

also to free up your iCloud space. Go to manage the storage under iCloud and delete the back up(complete or not) from your new 12 pro max.

that is all I did. Enjoy the new phone.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2020 8:39 AM in response to jantzen241

I did the SAME thing yesterday, what a disaster!

I had to reset my new 12 pro max and restore from iCloud back up I did with my old XS max. It worked!

also to free up your iCloud space. Go to manage the storage under iCloud and delete the back up(complete or not) from your new 12 pro max.

that is all I did. Enjoy the new phone.

Photos transferred to new iPhone 12 Pro Max storage instead of staying in iCloud Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.