Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Driver HP LaserJet 1020 MacOS Big Sur

Yesterday I installed Big Sur on My MacBook Pro 2017. At work is an old HP Laserjet 1020 printer. I installed the printer driver package from the Apple website on Catalina to work. You won't be able to install it on this version. Not support.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2020 9:40 PM

Here are some screenshots to help clear up the confusion.

Setup: MacOS BigSur, HP 1020 printer driver installed from previous OS.

1. Delete the HP 1020 driver from your Machine.
  2. Open preferences/printer.
  3. If the Printer is not connected, clicking the "+" symbol in the window on the left of the Printers & Scanners preferences pane will open the "add printer" dialogue, but the "search bar" will not provide any results when "HP 1020" is entered into the search bar. This is expected behaviour.
  4. Plug HP 1020 printer into a USB port on your Mac.
  5. Turn printer off. Turn printer on.
  6. Open preferences/printer.
  7. Click the "+" symbol in the window on the left of the Printers & Scanners preferences pane
  8. The "add printer" window will open. The printer HP 1020 will be shown
  9. Click on HP 1020.
  10. Under "Use:" click on "choose a driver"..
  11. Click on Select Software
  12. Enter "HP 1020" into the search bar. No results will be shown. This is expected behaviour. HP 1020 is no longer a supported printer.
  13. Clear search bar. Enter "HP 1022"
  14. Select HP LaserJet 1022,1.6.1 .. Click "OK"
  15. Click "Add"
  16. Printer HP LaserJet 1020 will now be set up ready to print. The "kind" will be set to HP LaserJet 1022, 1.6.1
  17. If this has helped, please mark it as "helpful" so that it will be promoted for others to find it.
  18. Hopefully this has prevented the disposal of a few printers. The HP LaserJet 1020 is a simple reliable printer that can be used with Mac OS Big Sur
100 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2020 9:40 PM in response to DmitrievSlavkin

Here are some screenshots to help clear up the confusion.

Setup: MacOS BigSur, HP 1020 printer driver installed from previous OS.

1. Delete the HP 1020 driver from your Machine.
  2. Open preferences/printer.
  3. If the Printer is not connected, clicking the "+" symbol in the window on the left of the Printers & Scanners preferences pane will open the "add printer" dialogue, but the "search bar" will not provide any results when "HP 1020" is entered into the search bar. This is expected behaviour.
  4. Plug HP 1020 printer into a USB port on your Mac.
  5. Turn printer off. Turn printer on.
  6. Open preferences/printer.
  7. Click the "+" symbol in the window on the left of the Printers & Scanners preferences pane
  8. The "add printer" window will open. The printer HP 1020 will be shown
  9. Click on HP 1020.
  10. Under "Use:" click on "choose a driver"..
  11. Click on Select Software
  12. Enter "HP 1020" into the search bar. No results will be shown. This is expected behaviour. HP 1020 is no longer a supported printer.
  13. Clear search bar. Enter "HP 1022"
  14. Select HP LaserJet 1022,1.6.1 .. Click "OK"
  15. Click "Add"
  16. Printer HP LaserJet 1020 will now be set up ready to print. The "kind" will be set to HP LaserJet 1022, 1.6.1
  17. If this has helped, please mark it as "helpful" so that it will be promoted for others to find it.
  18. Hopefully this has prevented the disposal of a few printers. The HP LaserJet 1020 is a simple reliable printer that can be used with Mac OS Big Sur

Dec 10, 2020 5:08 AM in response to DmitrievSlavkin

Hello,

I solved this problem and now my HP 1020 works perfectly with Big Sur 11.0.1 on a new MacBook Pro with the M1 chipset. I did the following:

1. Download HP Uninstaller, HP drivers 5.1 dmg (600.3MB) and the latest version of Pacifist.
  2. Use HP Uninstaller to remove all traces of HP printer drivers.
  3. Use Pacifist to extract and install HP 5.1 drivers.dmg.
  4. Attach HP 1020 printer via USB cable and Turn ON.
  5. Open printers and scanners.
  6. Add printer.
  7. Select HP LaserJet 1020.
  8. Select software.
  9. Enter search term HP LaserJet 1022.
  10. Double-click on HP LaserJet 1022 1.6.1 driver and select Add.

The printer now operates perfectly as before!

Dec 9, 2020 10:12 AM in response to Lumpusdumpus

Hello again,

Just to be clear, a Wi-Fi-to-USB print server does not per se eliminate the need for a printer driver. What it does is to allow the printer to be placed more freely, at a distance from the router and computer, without the need for cables.

If one wishes to print without a driver, a printer supporting the driverless AirPrint technology would be needed, or one would have to use a special AirPrint print server. The latter would allow a "normal" printer to act as if it were an AirPrint printer. However, such AirPrint servers are expensive, and may be limited to printers with a certain interface. Also, even AirPrint servers may have some limitations regarding supported printer models.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Dec 17, 2020 8:18 AM in response to Lumpusdumpus

Hello again,

If you have not done so already, take another look at Apple's download page https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US . It has a new title, HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS, and a new date (Dec 11, 2020). I guess that this is the update that DmitrievSlavkin was referring to. You may want to check whether it would change anything for your printer.

Kind regards,

Jan

Dec 17, 2020 9:08 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Solved!!

Thanks so much for your message, Jan. I returned to the page and found there's a new driver for the HP LaserJet 1022. The one I found before was the v5.1., which didn't work. Anyway I decided to try again and downloaded it. It turned out to be a new driver with the number 1.6.1. and, after the usual installation process, voilà! It worked and the 1022 was in the list! So, at least for me, the problem has been solved and my old 1020 is working perfectly. Went to this page: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US As stated above it actually says the drive is v5.1; however, it downloaded the 1.1.6. So, my recommendation is to go the link and try your luck again.

Many thanks to everyone who has sent messages of help.

Jan 10, 2021 3:33 PM in response to flamingoMJN

Hi,

Have you tried to download the HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS (post date Dec 11, 2020) from Apple (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?locale=en_US)? Does it contain a LaserJet 1015 driver (2.0.4)?

You may have to reset the printing system (Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support) and re-add the printer (Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support).

Jan 23, 2021 3:48 AM in response to ewa181

Hi, there's a lot of useful information above which has helped a lot of users. I'll repeat what worked for me. Here's the message from Jan Hedlund that helped me solve the problem and my reply. I hope this also works for you.

Jan Hedlund

User level:

Level 6

(12,884 points)

Desktops

Speciality level out of ten: 0

Dec 17, 2020 8:18 AM in response to Lumpusdumpus

Hello again,

If you have not done so already, take another look at Apple's download page https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US . It has a new title, HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS, and a new date (Dec 11, 2020). I guess that this is the update that DmitrievSlavkin was referring to. You may want to check whether it would change anything for your printer.

Kind regards,

Jan

Reply Helpful (1) Thread reply - more options

User profile for user: Lumpusdumpus

Lumpusdumpus

User level:

Level 1

(4 points)

Dec 17, 2020 9:08 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Solved!!

Thanks so much for your message, Jan. I returned to the page and found there's a new driver for the HP LaserJet 1022. The one I found before was the v5.1., which didn't work. Anyway I decided to try again and downloaded it. It turned out to be a new driver with the number 1.6.1. and, after the usual installation process, voilà! It worked and the 1022 was in the list! So, at least for me, the problem has been solved and my old 1020 is working perfectly. Went to this page: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US As stated above it actually says the drive is v5.1; however, it downloaded the 1.1.6. So, my recommendation is to go the link and try your luck again.

Jan 23, 2021 6:18 AM in response to DmitrievSlavkin

On Big Sur (M1 or Intel), you can extract the files you need from the HP Printer Drivers 5.1 package from Apple to install the driver for the HP Laserjet 1018-1020-1022 without the need to run the installer.

Download it here:

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

Open the DMG file and mount it, then go to Terminal and use this command to extract the PKG files:

pkgutil --expand PATH-TO-PKG-FILE PATH-TO-EXPAND-TO

Once you've expanded the first PKG file, you'll get another folder with the same file (HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg), run the same command on this file, and it'll give you all the files you need. You can copy these into your /Library/Printers/ folder.

I have uploaded the HP Printer Drivers for the Laserjet 1018-1020-1022 here, which is a much smaller download and cuts out all the stuff you don't need. When dragging these to the /Library/Printers/ folder and trying to add the printer in System Preferences, you may get a message that the printer drivers need repairing in order to make the printer work. Press OK and there you go, you're ready to print!

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Jun 13, 2021 11:11 AM in response to flamingoMJN

Hi flamingoMJN,

It is not possible to rule out software conflicts when testing printer drivers, and data may be lost. So, first of all, make sure that you have at least three backup copies of important files (photos, etc.).

I would again try resetting the printing system and re-adding the printer.

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

Check whether the operating system suggests a suitable driver to use.

I assume that you mean the HP LaserJet 1015 monochrome printer (not an HP Color LaserJet CM1015 or any other 1015 model).

Also, please double-check that you used the https://updates.cdn-apple.com/2020/macos/001-41745-20201210-DBC9B46B-88B2-4032-87D9-449AF1D20804/HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.dmg download (from the https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) web page) for the test. An HP LaserJet 1015 driver 2.0.4 is mentioned in the Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support article.

If necessary, an IBM information page (https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/information-printers-hp) has further details about the HP LaserJet 1015 printer language/data stream. This printer appears to be somewhat different from the other LaserJet 1010 series models.

You could perhaps check whether a generic PCL driver can be used. I noticed that there is an HP LaserJet 1015 Gutenprint driver as well. This would be experimental. Other experiments may include using the LaserJet 1015 as a shared USB printer in connection with an old Linux (Ubuntu) PC as a CUPS print server. Alternatively, with a Raspberry Pi. There are Linux drivers for the LaserJet 1015 from HP (https://developers.hp.com/hp-linux-imaging-and-printing/supported_devices/index).

Dec 15, 2020 9:59 PM in response to ArthurCatkins

Thanks a lot) I just add some advices for all

For download HP Driver 5.1 use this link https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05900790 and ftp client FileZilla

1. if you can't find HP Uninstaller try this url to do it manual https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02440673
  2. Pacifist is not for free - use nmac.to to find it
  3. After extract with Pacifist find Library/Printers and copy to /Library/Printers/ on your mac

Then do all steps in previous post ArthurCatkins

Dec 7, 2020 1:56 PM in response to Matt_-_-_

Sadly, this does not work for me in Catalina. Hmmm... Does anyone have a website where we can download drivers that actually work? Also, why does it work for some and not for others. Buying a new MBP and upgrading to Catalina has killed my ability to use my handy dandy HP 1020 - a workhorse for the ages. I need to use this printer so badly. If anyone out there can help, I'd be so grateful. This single issue is causing me not to upgrade in the future to any Mac products. It's such a simple issue. Apple should support this printer! Here the message I get.

Driver HP LaserJet 1020 MacOS Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.