Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes truncated tracks and library problem

I am using iTunes 12.9.5 on a MacBook Pro running Mac OS 10.14.6 My iTunes library is on a NAS drive.

Yesterday I noticed that when playing tracks iTunes would (seemingly randomly) stop playing a track and skip to the next one. Couldn't find a pattern so searched for an answer online. I found some advice that stated rebuilding the database might solve the problem. This is the advice I followed (after making a backup of the .itl and .xml files) before realising it may be rather out of date:

At this point you can attempt to recreate that database, as outlined by Apple. The gist is that you quit iTunes, navigate to the iTunes folder (youruserfolder/Music/iTunes), drag the iTunes Library.itl file to the trash and move the iTunes Library.xml file to the desktop.

Now launch iTunes, where you’ll find an empty library. Choose File > Library > Import Playlist, navigate to the iTunes Library.xml file on the desktop, and click Choose. This should reload your library, complete with playlists, song ratings, and play counts.

When I follow these instructions iTunes brings up a small window saying ‘Importing iTunes Library.xml’ a then gives me the spinning beach ball. I have left this running for about 18 hours so far with no change. Have I followed the correct procedure, am I going to get my library back?

MacBook Pro 13″, 10.14

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 7:09 AM

Force quit iTunes. Wth iTunes closed make security copies of both files. Put the original iTunes Library.itl file (the one you deleted) back in the iTunes folder and see if iTunes will start normally. Note that iTunes doesn't generally need the XML file. It is used to provide access to the library to third party apps when iTunes isn't running, and for the library rebuild approach you took earlier that didn't work, but iTunes may work better if you're not generating it all the time.

Assuming iTunes opens normally tell me more about one of the tracks that won't play fully. In some cases it may help to go into song info and delete any value shown in the stop time on the options tab. If the track itself is corrupt then rebuilding the library was never going to fix it.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2020 7:09 AM in response to Danktuft

Force quit iTunes. Wth iTunes closed make security copies of both files. Put the original iTunes Library.itl file (the one you deleted) back in the iTunes folder and see if iTunes will start normally. Note that iTunes doesn't generally need the XML file. It is used to provide access to the library to third party apps when iTunes isn't running, and for the library rebuild approach you took earlier that didn't work, but iTunes may work better if you're not generating it all the time.

Assuming iTunes opens normally tell me more about one of the tracks that won't play fully. In some cases it may help to go into song info and delete any value shown in the stop time on the options tab. If the track itself is corrupt then rebuilding the library was never going to fix it.

tt2

Nov 15, 2020 3:15 AM in response to turingtest2

OK, first of all I stopped the import. This revealed that a lot of my library had reappeared (not sure if everything came back but there were over a 1000 artists, individual songs had play counts and rating. No playlists appeared though....

I am going to back up the .xml and .itl files that are in the iTunes folder now then start again as you suggested.

Nov 15, 2020 3:23 AM in response to Danktuft

Everything is as it was! Thank you very much!

I will describe the problem of skipping/truncated tracks. I'll be brief because all I can say is that tracks would suddenly stop playing then skip to the next track. The time during the song that it stopped was random from track to track but consistent for each song so track A would skip at 41s, track B at 1m24s if I play track A again it would skip at 41s

Couldn't find any other common trait amongst the songs it was happening to either.

I will start listening again today to se if it is still happening.

This is the article I read about the tracks skipping, it's from 2013 but a respected source.

https://www.macworld.com/article/2045571/fixing-itunes-truncated-tracks.html

Nov 15, 2020 4:39 AM in response to Danktuft

I seem to recall a bug at one point that randomly set early finish times for some tracks. Deleting the finish time resets them. Another potential problem would be a file that has for reasons unknown become corrupted so that only part of the audio data remains available. iTunes would play this until it runs out of data, then skip to the next track without raising an error. Another build would drop the last 6 seconds of the last track ripped from a CD. If clearing the finish time doesn't help then you might need to restore the problem tracks from a backup or re-rip them.

tt2

iTunes truncated tracks and library problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.