Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have two different App Store apps on my iPhone?

The first one is the classic Apple iOS App Store, the one that has the blue icon with the white triangle logo in it. The second one just appeared when I got my new iPhone (I used to have an iPhone SE, and I just got an iPhone 12 mini), and it has a white icon with a blue shopping bag on it. This one has the name "Apple Store," but it appears to have the same function as the App Store.

Are these apps different in any way, and if not, why was this new one added to my iPhone (or why was the old one not removed)?

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 8:25 AM

These apps definitely do not have the same function. Significantly different.

If you go to the App Store (which is not an abbreviation for Apple Store), you are searching for apps to download and run on your iPhone.. ie a weather app that you can open and check your local forecast.

If you go to the Apple Store, you can shop for a new iPhone, a new iPad, a new MacBook.. accessories.

so in general, you find/buy apps in the App Store.. and you buy physical stuff from the Apple Store

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2020 8:25 AM in response to qmwnebr

These apps definitely do not have the same function. Significantly different.

If you go to the App Store (which is not an abbreviation for Apple Store), you are searching for apps to download and run on your iPhone.. ie a weather app that you can open and check your local forecast.

If you go to the Apple Store, you can shop for a new iPhone, a new iPad, a new MacBook.. accessories.

so in general, you find/buy apps in the App Store.. and you buy physical stuff from the Apple Store

Nov 14, 2020 3:10 PM in response to qmwnebr

Thanks for the help. That is what I originally assumed before opening the app, but I guess my phone glitched as it gave me the same layout as the App Store (telling me recommended apps and whatnot; I compared it to the App Store and they looked identical). After opening the app a second time, it opened the correct way, along with giving me the "see what's new" pop-up that you get when opening a new or significantly updated app.

Why do I have two different App Store apps on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.