Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud settings windows is blank on windows 10 PC

My icloud settings are not working anymore. The app is installed, the icon shows in the task bar, when I right-click on it it gives the option to open the settings window, (after clicking twice) an icloud window opens, but it is completely blank. I have reinstalled, restarted the computer, but all to no avail.

I only get a message "unable to create a directory for icloud photos error 15" sometimes when I start my computer.

I've searched on all of the above, have followed the suggestions I found (Windows Media Player, check if itunes etc. are up to date, having encrypted files unchecked, etc.) but nothing changed. Moreover, it seems many are having these issues, but I don't see solutions... Please, can somebody help?

Windows, 10

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 12:43 PM

So here's for posterity: the solution I found in the end that worked for me.

I used the program Registry First Aid (but you can also use windows' own Registry Editor). Not for a general clean-up this time, but to search for and delete all keys etc. in the registry that included "AppleInc.iCloud" or "iClouddrive". And then the same, a little more carefully, with those containing just "icloud" that seemed related to Apple (e.g., "wificloud" I excluded).

I don't like messing with the registry, as it can go terribly wrong which requires you to reinstall your computer, and reverting to a backed up registry isn't always possible/easy. But this time it worked. After cleaning the registry I restarted the computer, ran the iCloudSetup file linked by Brian above, it installed like a dream, and all functionality seems in order.

My personal impression is that the Windows app version of iCloud for Windows is creating a lot of problems, and the direct download as posted by Bryan is much to be preferred.

JeefKee

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 12:43 PM in response to jeefkee

So here's for posterity: the solution I found in the end that worked for me.

I used the program Registry First Aid (but you can also use windows' own Registry Editor). Not for a general clean-up this time, but to search for and delete all keys etc. in the registry that included "AppleInc.iCloud" or "iClouddrive". And then the same, a little more carefully, with those containing just "icloud" that seemed related to Apple (e.g., "wificloud" I excluded).

I don't like messing with the registry, as it can go terribly wrong which requires you to reinstall your computer, and reverting to a backed up registry isn't always possible/easy. But this time it worked. After cleaning the registry I restarted the computer, ran the iCloudSetup file linked by Brian above, it installed like a dream, and all functionality seems in order.

My personal impression is that the Windows app version of iCloud for Windows is creating a lot of problems, and the direct download as posted by Bryan is much to be preferred.

JeefKee

Dec 20, 2020 2:24 PM in response to Brian_P7

Hi Brian,

Thanks for your help. It took me a while to find some time to dig into this again.

Before trying to install the direct download, I made sure the Windows app was uninstalled, I also checked to uninstall via Control Panel, to delete any icloud folders, and I also did a cleaning of my registry using Registry First Aid. I even checked via Powershell whether the app was still somewhere (no).

Alas, when I try to reinstall, I get the message "one or more users on this computer have installed icloud from the microsoft store". I am the only user on my computer.

Any idea how I can reinstall...?

Thanks for your (or anybody else's) help!

Jeefkee

icloud settings windows is blank on windows 10 PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.