Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get back my pictures?

So recently I got a new iPhone. I did a backup on the old iPhone because I thought the pictures would transfer to my new iPhone. So then I reset my old phone so it would start as a new iPhone. How can I get the pictures back?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Nov 14, 2020 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 12:34 AM

Did you, by any chance, use iCloud for Photos? I ask because if the photos were not in the backup file then the Photos may be on iCloud. If you have photos in iCloud then all it would take is to log in with the same Apple ID on the new iPhone and the photos should begin migrating / synching from the old to the new iPhone.

Of course, if you do not use iCloud for photos then the information above will not work. At that point, if the photos are not in the backup file that you had created and they are not in iCloud then you have lost your photos permanently. I am hoping, for you, that they exist on iCloud.

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2020 12:34 AM in response to Mkozma123

Did you, by any chance, use iCloud for Photos? I ask because if the photos were not in the backup file then the Photos may be on iCloud. If you have photos in iCloud then all it would take is to log in with the same Apple ID on the new iPhone and the photos should begin migrating / synching from the old to the new iPhone.

Of course, if you do not use iCloud for photos then the information above will not work. At that point, if the photos are not in the backup file that you had created and they are not in iCloud then you have lost your photos permanently. I am hoping, for you, that they exist on iCloud.

Axel F.

Nov 15, 2020 12:21 AM in response to Mkozma123

Probably you backed it up on iCloud. If yes, turn on iCloud for Photos, that's it.

iCloud backup doesn’t include information that is synced and stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, Voice Memosshared photosiCloud Photos*, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive.

*-If you had turned on iCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud. 

How can I get back my pictures?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.