Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV not showing AirPlay devices on the list

It was working more than a year.

It looks that with one of recent updates something was broken.

I can see only one option 'TV Speakers'

Previously it was showing my airplay devices.

'living room'

'Sonos 1'

'Sonos 2'

'Marantz'

I can control this from iPhone, however it is limited experience.

I can't use apple tv remote to control volume of speaker.

Apple TV (4th generation)

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 12:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 9:22 PM

The new place to switch to AirPlay speakers is in Control Center. Just hold down the TV button on the Siri Remote to open Control Center and then click on the AirPlay icon to switch your audio output.

9 replies

Nov 17, 2020 12:13 AM in response to SnoopDogg94

Amazing. Thank you :)

Shame on you Apple for hiding this :) They could add some info icon telling where this option was moved :)

to clarify

1. hold down TV Button
  2. move down, to last row
  3. in the middle there is an icon for 'airplay sharing' - similar to other devices with iOS. We can select one or multiple devices there.

Main advantage is that we don't have to select this again and again after turning off/on apple tv. It looks that now it remembers most recent selection.

thank you.

issue resolved.

Dec 6, 2020 10:21 AM in response to plusz

hi, the shortcut was there since a while but in my case it's not solving the problem at all.

Set up: Apple tv 4k HDMI connected to a projector and airplaying audio to sonos one speakers.

What I see in the settings is

default audio output: tv speakers

that’s it

when I follow the TV Button shortcut explained above I did see the sonos speakers, I connect to them (I could see the checkbox ticked), but then it failed to actually connect to the speakers, and ended up reverting to the projector speakers. When I enter again in the TV Button screen I see the tv speakers ticked, not the Sonos as I could see when I left this screen.

Apple please, it seems obvious the issue happened right after a system update, make sure to fix this as soon as possible.

Dec 6, 2020 10:45 AM in response to marcuzzer

I have similar setup and I'm able to stream to Sonos One or Sonos Beam or both.

The only difference is, that when I change volume with remote from Apple TV it is not changing volume in Sonos speaker :(

I have to use my iPhone or touch Beam.

So maybe try to reset Apple TV or Sonos?

However I'm not sure if this is iOS issue - it was working properly with my old Marantz M-CR510 (worst software I saw, but I was able ot use it to stream from Apple tv - in spite of the fact it was hanging sometimes)

For Marantz when I changed volume in Apple TV, it was changing in Marantz.

Same is when I change volume in my Sony 1000-xm2 headset. Changing volume in headset changes is shown on a screen.

Sonos does not recognise it.

Jan 16, 2021 10:53 AM in response to SnoopDogg94

Having to do this every single time I interact with the AppleTV, even just picking a different song in the Music app doesn’t sound like a solution...

I have never once and will never want to use my TV speakers, that’s why I spent $$$ on a Sonos. Yet I have to click and hold the home button, scroll down, click, scroll down to Sonos, click to select, scroll up to TV Speakers, click to unselect, click to exit, click to close the side menu feature, after selecting a song, every single time!?!

I don’t want to come across as lazy, but this is kind of an absurd expectation when interacting with the Apple TV. Mot a huge deal when starting a movie or something but for more frequent use it is really just too much to expect.

Apple TV not showing AirPlay devices on the list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.