Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Qi charging does not work with iPhone 12 pro max

Does anyone else have a problem using old Qi charging with new iPhone 12 pro max

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 5:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 3:11 PM

I find it requires somewhat more precise charger placement than previous iPhone models. Of course, you must use a recognized and approved Qi charger.

How to wirelessly charge your iPhone - Apple Support

34 replies

Nov 16, 2020 10:16 AM in response to deggie

Have a new IPhone12 pro max wireless charging issues. Doesn’t work on existing QI charger so purchased the Morphie 3 in 1 from the Apple store. Whilst this works for a short while the white led soon starts to be flashing rapidly and changing stops. I have tried a hard reset and same problem. My wife’s 12 pro seems to be working no problem with the other Qi chargers and the new one.

I have seen other reports online of similar problems so hopefully a software fix is available soon or it is it a hardware problem?

regards

Pete

Nov 16, 2020 10:27 AM in response to deggie

Ok thanks, I will need to contact support although replacements will be difficult at the moment.

Seems like I’m not the only one though as various posting on the web with same problems. Could be a serious problem for Apple though if lots of phones are affected around the globe.

Phone was updated to 14.2 which supposedly goes some wireless issue with mag safe so might be related?

Nov 16, 2020 10:41 AM in response to PAJCAJ

Mine is also on 14.2. Every new model phone that charges wirelessly with Qi (not just iPhones) runs into problems with Qi chargers that previously worked. Sometimes it is the Qi charger as it only is partially Qi compliant, sometimes it can be a new case, sometimes the device needs to be rebooted, sometimes you have to be more careful about placement, sometimes it is a new case. First test is always to do a forced restart of the phone, then unplug and plug back in the Qi charger and remove any case.

Nov 17, 2020 5:04 AM in response to humberto235

I am having the same issue. Qi Chargers that worked flawlessly with my iPhone 11 Pro Max no longer work with my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Actually purchased two new chargers, and they also do not work. The case is an OtterBox Defender case, which is the same case I used on my iPhone 11 Pro Max, except it is even thinner than the old case, which should make it work better, not worse.

The phone starts to charge, so it is recognized by the various chargers, then it just stops charging. BIG PROBLEM. Tried turning the phone off and doing a soft-reset, to no avail.

Dec 17, 2020 8:06 AM in response to J.D.L.

Same issue started for me yesterday when I saw a low charge notification. My 12 Pro Max had worked fine on all three of my different Qi chargers the last 3 weeks and simply stopped taking a charge yesterday unless I used the lightning cable. Did a port off/reset this morning and has now started taking the Qi charge again, at least for the moment. Will see how long it continues to charge. Hope Apple is checking on its forums/discussion page so they can provide a permanent fix.

Jan 2, 2021 2:16 AM in response to Bduhrueb70

I have the same issue, have just purchased a new wireless charger, it worked for a few day after I received it, then I think Apple had an update, and it’s not charged since, this charger was purchased specifically for iPhone 12 Pro Max.

I have two other chargers similar they won’t charge it either or, but did before !

like others I hope APPLE read these discussions!

Jan 2, 2021 11:24 AM in response to deggie

There are some too many reports of problems to be individual hardware problems or indeed if this were the case then Apple have a serious problem on their hands to potentiality replace thousands of phones. This is a widespread issue although you’re ok by the sound of it but others not so lucky.

I personally think it is a combination of software and type of Qi charger power.

I had the same problem on an old Qi charger which would not work at all then with software updates would work for a bit before flashing error on charger. Tried a new Mophie 3:1 directly from Apple online stores but again intermittent charging. Sending this back just now.

Anyway purchased a Belkin 3:1 from Argos and it’s working, at the moment anyway, noted I’m also running iOS 14.4 beta.

Jan 2, 2021 1:16 PM in response to mr grumpy2

I had the same issue. You can try a MagSafe from apple which is what I did. However it didn’t work, so I schedule an appointment with an apple store and they replace my old iPhone 12 Promax with a new device. I specifically told them not to reset my phone because it would work for 2 days or 3 and then stop working again. My issue was resolved by replacing the defective device.

Jan 3, 2021 7:51 AM in response to humberto235

I have a 12 ProMax and have the same issue, to the point where I stopped trying to use my Qi charger. I’ve had to fidget with the placement to get it to start charging, only to wake up to find the charge connection had dropped sometime in the night...not long after I put it on the charger.

My phone is also completely dropping signal and I get a message that tells me my phone hasn’t been activated. When I restart it, it works for a while, but it is a repeating scenario.

Lastly, The Bluetooth connection (only in my 2009 GMC Sierra) is useless. The phone appears to pair fine but the connection drops when I use it...

All VERY frustrating.

Qi charging does not work with iPhone 12 pro max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.