Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Over sharpening photos post processing | iPhone 12 Pro Max

Coming from the iPhone X, I've never noticed any post processing from taking the photo to tapping the small preview of the recent photo in the photos app. I'm noticing a very obvious post process after opening the recent photo in the camera app and it appears every image is being sharpened significantly. I honestly prefer the look of the images prior to the processing as usually the files are large enough to add a small amount of sharpness if I need to but in this case, they're coming over sharpened right out of the camera app. Am I the only one a little concerned about this?

A little background of myself, I've been a professional photographer for 6 years who is now producing large format print work, so I can be a little nit picky.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2021 8:46 AM

Folks, I believe I found the evil. 

After hours of testing and spending money on 3rd party camera apps, I discovered following:

-       The images don’t look over post-processed after transferring to Mac

-       When watching the images on iPhone with 3rd party viewer apps, the photographs also look OK

-       Images shot with 3rd party camera apps look OK in the related camera app, but when viewed with iPhone Photos app, they show the same strange sharpness and overexposure

These brought me to the conclusion that not the iPhone camera, but in fact the iPhone Photos app causes this issue.

And voilà: go to “Settings” - “Photos” - turn off “View Full HDR” and the nightmare is over.

Cheers!

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2021 8:46 AM in response to jmann32

Folks, I believe I found the evil. 

After hours of testing and spending money on 3rd party camera apps, I discovered following:

-       The images don’t look over post-processed after transferring to Mac

-       When watching the images on iPhone with 3rd party viewer apps, the photographs also look OK

-       Images shot with 3rd party camera apps look OK in the related camera app, but when viewed with iPhone Photos app, they show the same strange sharpness and overexposure

These brought me to the conclusion that not the iPhone camera, but in fact the iPhone Photos app causes this issue.

And voilà: go to “Settings” - “Photos” - turn off “View Full HDR” and the nightmare is over.

Cheers!

Apr 2, 2021 9:18 PM in response to jmann32

I’ve just bought a new iPhone 12 (haven’t got it yet) even though I knew about this issue with Apple’s processing. I read an interesting article from the makers of Halide which kinda explains it… and also suggests we’re not going to see the end of it anytime soon.

https://lux.camera/iphone-12-camera-review/

I’ll be using NOMO for a while, I think.

Dec 2, 2020 11:23 AM in response to jmann32

Yes, i am noticing that to on my girlfriends iphone 12 pro max. It adds a clearly visible sharpening, giving the images a oversharpend look. This would be fine if you were able to adjust after would, or turn it off (preferably).

Personally really dislike over sharpend photos, they give it a cheap, digital look. Seeming the camera is one of the main reasons of upgrading an iphone, it is a great disappointment. We appreciate if someone from apple could give a reply on this thread. A future update to adjust this initial post processing, or a sort of legacy mode to give it the more subtle post processing of the X.

the slightly greenish hue of the screen is another problem, but not as bad as the sharpening.

Nov 20, 2020 11:58 AM in response to jmann32

I have the exactly the same observation. I previously had an iPhone X and just upgraded to iPhone 12 Pro Max- I took some shots of my dog in the park today (using the 1x lens) and I was quite disappointed with the amount of sharpening applied. It made the photos look far to ‘digital’ the photos from the iPhone X where far more pleasing. After looking forward to the arrival of my new phone, I was quite disappointed. I hope Apple apply an update and either tone down the sharpening or provide the opportunity to turn it off (or down). Maybe the upcoming Raw release will help, but I was hoping for good (JPEG) shots right out of the phone. I am going to experiment some more with the HEIF format.

I’ve also downloaded the Halide app to see if I can get some better results.

Dec 4, 2020 1:52 PM in response to jmann32

I'm having the same issues! I didn't notice it at first... figured it was just the new screen was showing more vibrant colors, but the last week or so it's really stood out. I've taken pics in the middle of the day and dusk and both times, the pics are either over exposed, adding blueish hues to areas that aren't blue and made a sunset insanely red orange. It looks photoshopped.

Dec 5, 2020 9:58 AM in response to jmann32

Same for me. I’ve taken just a few photos with my new iPhone 12 Pro Max and have already noticed they’re horribly over sharpened, especially the standard format files, making them really muddy looking, especially around details, water and foliage. Not as much on the Raw files (I’m on the 14.3 beta now) I don’t think, but it’s still definitely there on them. I preferred the HIEF/JPEG files from my previous iPhone XS 😕

Dec 25, 2020 7:15 AM in response to jmann32

The exact same is happening to me too!

tried taking a pic of my Christmas dinner and When I click the new image preview square, the image looks fine for about 2 seconds before the auto-processing kicks in and whitewashes/over-defines/over-clarifies my picture.

ive tried turning HDR and auto-night mode off etc. And still the same!! It’s absolute trash and I regret upgrading from my iPhone 8 Plus

Jan 4, 2021 1:56 PM in response to Fogeyogi

I agree. My temporary solution is to shoot in proraw, edit in LR on the iPhone, the generate a jpg and delete the very large DNG. I really minimize the sharpening and think I get the equivalent of the Apple jpg without the crustiness of their oversharpening. Good result but too much work. Thought about doing this with the Photos app but seems like the Lr route is easier and more controllable for me.

Over sharpening photos post processing | iPhone 12 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.