Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search on iPhone Calendar is not working

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro and iOS 14.2. The search function on Calendar is not working. At first search would not return any selections with more than three letters. I tried adjusting several settings and eventually deleted and reinstalled Calendar. Calendar will now search for items in my Calendar but will not return any info from the Family Calendar shared with my wife. The Search function continues to work as expected on my iPad, running iPadOS 14.2 and my MacBook running macOS Big Sur 11.0.1. How can I restore this much-used function?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 11:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2020 1:03 PM

Thanks. I had restored my Calendar items by the time I received your helpful suggestion. What worked for me was to go to Settings -> iCloud, then toggle Calendars off, then back on again. Everything seemed to come back then. I was pretty sure all of the data remained in iCloud as I could access it from my other machines. Your suggestion would probably have gotten me there too.

I see many users concerned that Calendar items greater than a year old don't show up in Calendar. I always assumed this was due to keeping a smaller subset of items in iOS devices to save storage. I used Calendar search in MacOS to access older events, but if you were an iOS user only it might be disconcerting. Hopefully as Apple transitions to operating systems that are similar enough to allow programs to be work on all OS without modification, they won't disable comprehensive search on all systems.

Thanks again.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2020 1:03 PM in response to barberlives123

Thanks. I had restored my Calendar items by the time I received your helpful suggestion. What worked for me was to go to Settings -> iCloud, then toggle Calendars off, then back on again. Everything seemed to come back then. I was pretty sure all of the data remained in iCloud as I could access it from my other machines. Your suggestion would probably have gotten me there too.

I see many users concerned that Calendar items greater than a year old don't show up in Calendar. I always assumed this was due to keeping a smaller subset of items in iOS devices to save storage. I used Calendar search in MacOS to access older events, but if you were an iOS user only it might be disconcerting. Hopefully as Apple transitions to operating systems that are similar enough to allow programs to be work on all OS without modification, they won't disable comprehensive search on all systems.

Thanks again.

Nov 23, 2020 12:12 PM in response to aeronut0304

Hey there aeronut0304,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We understand Search is not working in Calendar as expected. We’ll be happy to help with this.

When you deleted the app, did you restart your iPhone before reinstalling? If not, delete the app, restart your iPhone, then reinstall Calendar. This link can help you restart:

Restart your iPhone

If the issue continues, then it could be other software. Did you restore a backup to your iPhone 12 Pro when you first got it? It could be related to that but it may be best to test the above steps and see if that helps first.

Take care.

Search on iPhone Calendar is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.