Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2018 crashes after hearing loud fan noise a few minutes after booting up

Yesterday (Saturday) I installed Big Sur in a Macbook Pro 15" 2018 laptop. Everything seemed to be fine. Later, during the update of Xcode and iMovie the fan started to sound loud and then the computer crashed. Today, after uninstalling Norton Security to install a new version the fan started to sound loud and then the laptop crashed again. At this moment the laptop crashes like a minute after boot up; first the loud fan noise and then the crash. How can I solve this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 12:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 1:43 PM

I think that I found the culprit. I noticed that the problem did not replicate after booting up in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode I noticed a Norton Security service in the Network panel of System Preferences. After removing the service the laptop booted up without incident, no more loud fan noise or Mac OS crashes.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2020 1:43 PM in response to Mesega

I think that I found the culprit. I noticed that the problem did not replicate after booting up in Safe Mode. In Safe Mode I noticed a Norton Security service in the Network panel of System Preferences. After removing the service the laptop booted up without incident, no more loud fan noise or Mac OS crashes.

Macbook Pro 2018 crashes after hearing loud fan noise a few minutes after booting up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.