Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't iPhone automatically check Gmail accounts for new emails? I never get email notifications unless I manually check them.

I have 2 new iPhone's and nether one will automatically check for new emails from Gmail accounts- I also do not get notifications for new mail unless I manually check first. . It appears that iCloud email has the same issues but it's not a priority.

Do I need to install the Gmail app to get notifications/automatic delivery?

Thanks

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 7:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 8:01 PM

Open Settings ➔ Mail ➔ Accounts ➔ Fetch New Data : Set Push to ON. Under the Fetch category choose a time interval of your choice from hourly to Every 15 minutes.

Note that if you are using the Apple Mail app on your iPhone then GMAIL will not let you get Push Notifications. For your GMAIL account, the Fetch method will be used and emails will be fetched using the specified time interval. If you happen to manually open the Mail app in between those intervals then it will appear that the emails from GMAIL arrive only when you open the Mail app.

Yes, to get Push and instant notifications from GMAIL, you will need to install the GMAIL app from Google.

Axel F.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2020 8:01 PM in response to Fletchb

Open Settings ➔ Mail ➔ Accounts ➔ Fetch New Data : Set Push to ON. Under the Fetch category choose a time interval of your choice from hourly to Every 15 minutes.

Note that if you are using the Apple Mail app on your iPhone then GMAIL will not let you get Push Notifications. For your GMAIL account, the Fetch method will be used and emails will be fetched using the specified time interval. If you happen to manually open the Mail app in between those intervals then it will appear that the emails from GMAIL arrive only when you open the Mail app.

Yes, to get Push and instant notifications from GMAIL, you will need to install the GMAIL app from Google.

Axel F.

Why can't iPhone automatically check Gmail accounts for new emails? I never get email notifications unless I manually check them.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.