Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't view/open RAW or .CR3 photo files on my MacBook (updated OS)

Hi there!

I shot a wedding yesterday and handed my second shooter my SD card. Here's the problem, she used RAW camera setting. I imported the files on my MacBook, but I can't view the photos. They are just mere grey squares. Although, prior to importing, I can see what the photos look like in thumbnail. But when I imported them, they are just grey square just like in the photo below. PLEASE HELP!!!

MacBook, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 15, 2020 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 6:07 AM

Which camera model is it?

You should be able to see the camera model in the Info for the photo.

Photos 5 on Catalina supports these camera models: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 13, iPadOS 13 and macOS Catalina – Apple Support

A grey thumbnail does not necessarily mean an incompatible RAW format. Usually an incompatible RAW format will show an exclamation point in the thumbnail. What happens, when you double click a thumbnail to view it enlarged? Do you get an error message?

If yes, what is the error message?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 6:07 AM in response to jollasr

Which camera model is it?

You should be able to see the camera model in the Info for the photo.

Photos 5 on Catalina supports these camera models: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 13, iPadOS 13 and macOS Catalina – Apple Support

A grey thumbnail does not necessarily mean an incompatible RAW format. Usually an incompatible RAW format will show an exclamation point in the thumbnail. What happens, when you double click a thumbnail to view it enlarged? Do you get an error message?

If yes, what is the error message?

Can't view/open RAW or .CR3 photo files on my MacBook (updated OS)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.