Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need to file a claim on a lost phone with Apple Care

Who do I contact or is there a lost phone claim form?

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 3:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2020 8:35 AM

AppleCare with Theft & Loss is a scam, if your iPhone is stolen and the thieves can reset your iPhone

you are doomed. Apple claims the iPhones cannot be reset, I am not sure that claim is verifiable.

If you cannot "find" your Lost/Stolen device, they will not let you file a claim.

Do not purchase Theft & Loss coverage, buy Theft and Loss coverage insurance with a third party,

instead. Apple Care will cover Damage, Battery Replacement, and Repairs ... that is worth paying for.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2020 8:35 AM in response to andredg

AppleCare with Theft & Loss is a scam, if your iPhone is stolen and the thieves can reset your iPhone

you are doomed. Apple claims the iPhones cannot be reset, I am not sure that claim is verifiable.

If you cannot "find" your Lost/Stolen device, they will not let you file a claim.

Do not purchase Theft & Loss coverage, buy Theft and Loss coverage insurance with a third party,

instead. Apple Care will cover Damage, Battery Replacement, and Repairs ... that is worth paying for.

Dec 22, 2020 9:20 AM in response to ElGatucu

ElGatucu wrote:

In my opinion, paying for Theft and Loss insurance is money lost, and people should purchase it at their own risk.
I have no complaints about AppleCare for Repairs and Battery Replacement, that works seamlessly (at least in my
experience). I cannot say the same about Theft & Loss.

I agree with you on that, not because of any risk, but because there are better ways to protect against theft and loss:

• Buy with a credit card that provide theft/loss protection
  • Check with your home or rental insurance; most will cover stolen electronics either in the base coverage, or with a ow cost rider
  • Consider everything you might want to buy additional coverage for and add up the premiums; usually the cost of premiums will exceed the cost of one or two items that you might lose and want coverage for.

Dec 22, 2020 9:02 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Well "utter" non-sense ... not so sure

Thieves may not be able to crack your data (although there are news postings about the FBI being able to crack the iPhone11), but they may be able to reset it, sell it, or re-use it.

Although the Theft & Loss is a third party, to file a claim you need to be able to find the device first. Then, only then, you are cleared by Apple to continue with your Claim. Even in the simple loss event, that your phone is lost and it runs out of battery, I am not sure you will locate it with "Find My Device," and the end result will be the same.

Do you know of a different way to file a claim with the insurance provider? That would be helpful.

In my opinion, paying for Theft and Loss insurance is money lost, and people should purchase it at their own risk.

I have no complaints about AppleCare for Repairs and Battery Replacement, that works seamlessly (at least in my

experience). I cannot say the same about Theft & Loss.

Dec 22, 2020 9:10 AM in response to ElGatucu

No, if Activation Lock is enabled there is no way to bypass it, because Activation Lock is not implemented on the iOS device itself. Lock status is maintained on Apple’s activation servers, so as soon as anyone attempts to activate the phone it will fail.

The one way is for the thief to text the phone’s owner saying the phone has been found, and to provide the Apple ID and password so it can be verified. Occasionally people fall for this phish, but I think most users would recognize it for what it is.

I need to file a claim on a lost phone with Apple Care

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.