Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

add to Reading List in Safari from Mail or ReadKit broken in Big Sur

I have a iMac4K(2015)16GB2TB and a macBook(2017)8GB256GB.

I upgraded the macBook to Big Sur with little problem. But, when adding to reading list in Safari from Mail (or ReadKIt), Safari come to front and stayed there.

When I upgraded only Safari 14 on the iMac, the adding to reading list process remained in background as it used to.

When I upgraded my iMac to Big Sur, it followed my macBook’s broken process.

I spend a lot of time peeling links off emails and RSS blogs and while, I can leave the source window peeking out out at the side to get it back on my iMac, my 12” macBook has a lit less space.

Any clues, please?

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2020 11:38 PM

I found the answer in <https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/how-to-enter-and-exit-full-screen-mode-in-macos/>

Set Mail and Safari to full screen mode. In Mail use normal quick look arrow on the link and select "add to reading list" button. This takes you to Safari.

Then use Ctl-left|rightArrow to return to Mail. (That's the magic that I was looking for.) Works beautifully in a 12" screen :-)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2020 11:38 PM in response to niqin

I found the answer in <https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/how-to-enter-and-exit-full-screen-mode-in-macos/>

Set Mail and Safari to full screen mode. In Mail use normal quick look arrow on the link and select "add to reading list" button. This takes you to Safari.

Then use Ctl-left|rightArrow to return to Mail. (That's the magic that I was looking for.) Works beautifully in a 12" screen :-)

Nov 17, 2020 5:17 AM in response to niqin

My wife & I are also finding this incredibly aggravating. We follow of lot of RSS feeds using ReadKit, and having Safari pop to the front every time I add something to the reading list, and then having to switch back is very annoying.

And no, switching Safari to full screen did not fix it. All it did was bring a full screen Safari to the front instead of a windowed Safari.

Nov 17, 2020 10:32 AM in response to niqin

I could also command-tab to go back to ReadKit, as it would be the most recent app used.

The point is that it's not just one keystroke. It's an extra interaction for every single article. You used to be able to just arrow-key down, occasionally hitting a button to send something to the list for later. Now, when you are going down a list of dozens of articles, sending one or two dozen to the Reading list, it is incredibly obnoxious to have to add several repeated extra keystrokes, plus the visual distraction of the entire screen changing twice, having to reestablish your visual key onto the list you were looking at, plus having to readjust your hand for a different key combination. What used to be easy is now an aggravation.

add to Reading List in Safari from Mail or ReadKit broken in Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.